Question New build, suspect memory problem - do you agree?

jdk09

Reputable
Oct 27, 2019
Just finished putting together a new machine, problem I sort of fixed detailed below, would like to know if someone more knowledgeable than me agrees or has advice on something else I should look at?

Specs:
Gigabyte Aorus z390 master
Intel I-9 9900KF
MSI RTX 2070 super
Seasonic prime ultra gold 850W
Corsair vengeance RGB pro 3600 4x8GB
Corsair H150i AIO cooler
2 XPG SSDs (an 8200 pro and an 8100)
Phanteks evolve X case, some of their halo RGB fan frames
Acer predator x27
Corsair keyboard, logitech mouse, some other peripherals that are not plugged in at this time

So, I put it all together, press power and immediately have 4 problems:
  1. Machine fires up for 1-2 seconds and power cycles, sometimes makes it 5 seconds and cycles, eventually seems to stay running, but....
  2. Monitor says no input detected
  3. One of the RAM sticks isn't lit up - it did light up when the machine first powered, but in the process of power cycles eventually it went dark
  4. One of my intake fans isn't spinning (this one was fixed by changing which fan controller pins it connected to and jiggling some connectors)

- So I move RAM sticks around, get same results with the same stick of RAM not wanting to light up and system not recognizing GPU input to monitor (checked all the cables of course).
-Next I take out 2 sticks of RAM, including the 1 that didn't want to light up, I leave a stick in A2 and B2
-Now it powers up, does 2 rounds of 1-2 seconds and cycle, a third round where it makes it 5 seconds and then on the 4th try it gets to BIOS.
-I load optimized settings, look around in BIOS without changing anything and try rebooting a few times, now it seems to work normally, no power cycling at all.

-Put the other 2 sticks back in and I'm right back at power cycling and no monitor input (and a dark RAM stick). SO, I go back to 2 and it does the same 2 short cycles, 1 longer cycle and then successful boot to BIOS and stability.

So, I had a bad stick of RAM causing problems 1-3 since removing it fixed the cycling and lack input recognition by monitor. What I don't understand is why bad RAM caused my monitor to not see GPU input, or why I had the power cycling happen (on the first boot before loading optimized BIOS settings) with 2 good sticks of RAM? Can anyone explain this, or tell me if it sounds like something different? Does this story sound typical for a RAM thing, I've not experienced it before, but from a Google search it seems like power cycling can be caused by bad RAM. Thank you for reading and advice!

jdk09

Reputable
Oct 27, 2019
With 2 sticks, works in both the A2/B2 and A1/B1 configurations. I had also tried the 1 stick that didn't light up in 3 different spots during the initial troubleshooting, each time I got an unstable, power cycling system and since it wouldn't detect GPU input I couldn't tell if the BIOS was detecting it either.

jdk09

Reputable
Oct 27, 2019
With the stick of RAM that doesn't light up installed, I can't even get the monitor to display input from GPU, so I can't even run memtest. I dont really need it to tell me the RAM is defective though. When it's in, system doesn't work. When it's out, it does work, So I know I need to RMA the kit, but for now I have a functional 2x8 setup.

What I really want to know at this point, is why, even with 2 sticks of apparently ok RAM, the machine does 3 power cycles before booting to BIOS. When I load optimized BIOS settings, the power cycling issue is resolved and the system runs well. Is it normal for newly installed RAM to cause this? Is it just that the motherboard needs to try a couple configurations before finding the "right" one for my RAM?