New Build to replace build I sold last year

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkside_gamer7

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Ive been out of the game for about a year now since I sold my system and I am looking to build a new one. I got about a $2000 budget. I am looking for a new gaming build.
The last system I built over a year ago was as follows:
CPU: Intel 2500k
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth
RAM: 8GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance
PSU: 1000 watt supply made by Corsair (Modular)
GPU: 1x 6970 Non-OC'd from sapphire
Cooler: Coolermaster V-6 GT
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
Had a 24 inch monitor and windows 7 UE as OS.

Ive been looking around at alot of the new Processors and Gpus out on the market now. I have also seen alot of news of intels new processors coming out along with AMD's and Nvidia's new cards coming soon as well.

I'm really looking for a setup thats alot better then my last build. I mostly shop newegg.com and really prefer them. Any deals that I'm unaware of would be awesome. I've also been looking at some of the system builders marathons and such to kinda base what I should get but am iffy on some things. I'm not necessarily looking for an upgraded version of my last build. I'm really looking for the best for my money. I've still got the W7 OS so that's not needed in my budget.

Thanks and appreciate any help :).

Edit: I had 2 500gb HDDs made by WD as boot and storage. Been contemplating a ssd with a HDD

Solution

I would definitely wait, if I were you. Coming back sometime in June would probably get you the most optimal build, whether or not the new GPUs are worth it (which they very likely will be, I should note).
Sorry to turn your thread into a massive debate, by the way.

Given what he's spending, and the fact that we can manage to do so while staying efficient, I feel that designing a system to last 2 years is a reasonable choice.

Fair enough, though I do believe the EVGA make an FTW with a reasonable cooler.

Not my build. I pitched dual 7970s. No bones about it, that is not the build I would recommend (having very overpriced RAM being one reason), but my point was that your suggested changes wouldn't have taken it in a significantly improved direction.

Edit: Having checked, Ecaarnage's build seems to use FTWs. Not sure what you mean about the stock 670s.

darkside_gamer7

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Im in close consideration with waiting for the new gen of GPUs...as well as intels new offerings...I can raise my budget a bit but can't bend too much or the wife would go nutz lol...I dont plan on selling this build or ditching it for a good 3 years or so...I sold my last one before I moved and I would like to also have something good for a while because I'll be going to Korea in september and living there for 1-2 years.

I would definitely wait, if I were you. Coming back sometime in June would probably get you the most optimal build, whether or not the new GPUs are worth it (which they very likely will be, I should note).
Sorry to turn your thread into a massive debate, by the way.

Solution

darkside_gamer7

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
No problems on the debate. Debate can create solutions new and old. I will most likely wait on parts to build around new intel and new gpus...until they are released I'll shop and purchase the other parts. Appreciate all the help everyone. Given me alot to go on.