New Build to replace build I sold last year

darkside_gamer7

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Ive been out of the game for about a year now since I sold my system and I am looking to build a new one. I got about a $2000 budget. I am looking for a new gaming build.
The last system I built over a year ago was as follows:
CPU: Intel 2500k
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth
RAM: 8GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance
PSU: 1000 watt supply made by Corsair (Modular)
GPU: 1x 6970 Non-OC'd from sapphire
Cooler: Coolermaster V-6 GT
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
Had a 24 inch monitor and windows 7 UE as OS.

Ive been looking around at alot of the new Processors and Gpus out on the market now. I have also seen alot of news of intels new processors coming out along with AMD's and Nvidia's new cards coming soon as well.

I'm really looking for a setup thats alot better then my last build. I mostly shop newegg.com and really prefer them. Any deals that I'm unaware of would be awesome. I've also been looking at some of the system builders marathons and such to kinda base what I should get but am iffy on some things. I'm not necessarily looking for an upgraded version of my last build. I'm really looking for the best for my money. I've still got the W7 OS so that's not needed in my budget.

Thanks and appreciate any help :).

Edit: I had 2 500gb HDDs made by WD as boot and storage. Been contemplating a ssd with a HDD

Solution

I would definitely wait, if I were you. Coming back sometime in June would probably get you the most optimal build, whether or not the new GPUs are worth it (which they very likely will be, I should note).
Sorry to turn your thread into a massive debate, by the way.
Here's my pitch:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.16 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($125.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($433.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($433.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($199.75 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1250W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($216.74 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2065.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-13 22:11 EDT-0400)

The PSU is complete overkill (and what drove me over budget), but is was the cheapest SeaSonic PSU I could find that had over 900w. If you want to cut it down to 850 (still enough, obviously, but not suited to my paranoid conception of power requirements) you could say within budget.
If you don't want to water cool, I would switch the cooler to a Noctua DH14 and the case to a Silverstone Fortress 2 USB 3.0 edition.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
Well. you won't get much of a boost in gaming performance from any of the newer components once you overclock that CPU....

You should just keep the set-up that you have now and sell your old GPU and buy a new GPU when it comes out (GTX 770 or 780 probably)

the 3570k performs nearly identical to 2500k... and it doesn't OC as well either. The new Hanswells are coming out in 3 weeks and would maybe offer 5-10% performance increases but most games aren't CPU bound so you won't see much of a performance increase there....

I would literally just get 2x GTX 780s once they come out and that's as good of a computer for gaming as you're ever going to get currently.

He sold that system. That's why he's looking for a new one.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

ya. I just read that lol. well my answer still stands of waiting for 3 weeks and buying hanswell/GTX 780s lol. The 780s should be very close to the Nvidia Titan in terms of performance... but 2/3rds of the price lol.

I'll grant you Haswell. I'll need to see some benchmarks on the 700 series before I start recommending it.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

come on... have you read the leaked specs? Even if they're not true, it should still be near there (since the 7 series is based on the Titan) and we've already seen what the Titan can do...

ECaarnage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2013
This build still gives you some mony left over to buy a mouse, keyboard, monitor or anything else you will need. Let me know what you think :)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.16 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($145.46 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.94 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1759.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-13 22:24 EDT-0400)

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

no point in a non k processor on a z77 board...
and why EVGA GTX 670s with stock coolers :/ for the same price, you can get ones with better coolers...

It could be near there, sure. It could also not be. And the prices could be different as well (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-GTX780-Titan-GK110,22399.html). We don't know, and so must reserve judgement until we have facts.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

Facts... the GTX 680 can be flashed into a GTX 770. so that much is certain that the 770 is basically a rebranded GTX 680.

And it's already been confirmed that the GTX 780 will be based on the the same architecture as Titan... and there's no way in hell they'll cut it back that much otherwise the performance wouldn't sell the flagship at the price point of $599 of the new gen especially with Titan already out...

Besides. This has always been how it went for Nvidia. heavy Binning of their GPUs... If it can't qualify for being a Titan, disable a core to become the next tier graphics card.

Simple business logic... you gotta be able to sell the damn thing... pretty much as good as facts.

Oh ya. if you haven't noticed. Tomshardware has always been late in "news" by a couple days if not a week sometimes...

game junky

Distinguished
Here's the overkill rig I would recommend:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/X7fs

For just gaming, the i5-3570k is excellent - there aren't many applications which will use more than 4 cores simultaneously. If you want a little extra muscle, step up to the i7-3770k but I really only recommend that if you're doing video/photo editting or encoding constantly and want to save time. The CPU cooler only really matters if you intend to overclock the processor or constantly run a heavy load, if you have no intention of tweaking your settings then you can remove that. I am partial to Nvidia so a 4GB 680 should be more than sufficient for even a 1080p triple monitor setup. If you aren't pressed for time, I would wait for Nvidia to release the 780 later this year - it should be similar spec-wise with the GTX Titan which is way more muscle than anyone needs. 8 GB of RAM is more than enough RAM for gaming, but I threw in a 2nd 8GB kit just for shakes and grins. The Samsung 840 Pro is the best SSD on the market at the moment in terms of both speed an reliability. I personally have the 256Gb model in my rig but that's because I leave all my program files on the SSD and I am in the middle of ripping my bluray collection so I need the space to never have to worry about filling the drive. The HDD is for document and media storage - if you're like me, you have a lot of media files and never want to have to worry about deleting anything. If you're only running those components, 700 Watts is more than enough power. If you want to SLI, it would be a good idea to skip up to 850 so you never have to worry about it. That case should be large enough to support those components with plenty of room even with that CPU cooler.

That rig (even without the potential upgrade discussed) can handle anything on the market with ease. I went the AMD route because I had a more modest budget but if you can wait I would recommend waiting. Intel is working on another CPU cycle and Nvidia is working on another GPU generation, both of which should be worth the wait. BF4 isn't coming out for a bit anyway so you should have plenty of time.

The most important issue is performance in realworld applications, factored against price. Until we see how the release models perform, we can't be sure of how they place. We can make educated guesses, and I tend to recommend waiting for them just to be sure, but we certainly can't make recommendations based on aproximations.

Also, the article I linked was specifically about the price hike to the 780, whose price is presently unknown. If it ends up priced around where the Titan is, it may well be a price-inefficient option, much like the Titan itself.

If companies never botched their calculations regarding what people would buy, the market would almost never shift. However, it does, because companies make misjudgements about consumers. Arguably, the 680 is an example, in the nobody who's tech savvy will advocate the thing, because its price to power ratio is just not good enough, particularly stacked up against the 670 or 7970.

game junky

Distinguished
Article I saw says 760 is the 670, 770 is the 680 and the 780 is the Titan in terms of performance - $600 (estimated price for the 780) vs $1000 is a pretty fairly deep discount if you ask me. Now, as indicated, these are estimates so until we see a sticker on a box there is no way to know how deep of a chunk they're going to try to take out of my paycheck. I was just about to pull the trigger on upgrading from my 560 to a 660ti or a 670 and then I saw that article about potential price and release date on the 700 series. Way to screw my choice up, Nvidia

I completely agree with the idea of waiting, both for you and OP, given how soon the 700 series will drop. My point was more that we need to see actual benchmarks and price tags before we start giving out best for price awards. I'm quite sanguine about the 700s, they look excellent, from what's been released. But we need to know for sure in all regards. Thus, waiting is the superior choice all 'round.

game junky

Distinguished
Agreed - betting the 770 is gonna be a champ. Wonder if they'll step the RAM to 2GB/4GB for those models. If so, that'll probably be what I buy. Guessing that will be less than $500 and should be capable of running BF4 on Ultra. I would love to get a 780, but it would only be worth while if they had a consumer-grade 4k display.

ECaarnage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2013

Are you talking about overclock editions for the GFX cards? And there is no point getting a K model if he will not utilize it's use. He said he wanted I gaming ig. Not an overclocking rig.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

the GTX 770 is a rebranded GTX 680 with a slightly modified architecture............. a GTX 680 with modified firmware performs about 5-10% better than the current stock GTX 680. Which is also achievable by overclocking a GTX 670..... (which can be had for $400 already)

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

then why bother with a Z77 motherboard.
might as well as get H77 motherboard and get a GTX 690... or something lol...

ECaarnage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2013

For the graphics part of the chipset, to allow the SLI and also use Onboard graphics. I know this a quality board, I own this one. It is also a great price.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

and? doesn't mean it's the best value for the money lol. especially the only good part about the board is the 8 power phases that supply the cpu to allow for better overclocking. You can get cheaper board or chipset and it'll perform the same since he's not overclocking. Might as well as put it towards better GPU.

2 x 670 FTW is far better than a single 690 in terms of power for price, and is also pretty close to overkill. Past 2 x 670 or 2 x 7970, the returns pretty much vanish.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

and? 2x GTX 660 Tis is better than 2x 670 FTWS in terms of power for price and it'll max out all the games coming out this year too lol.... so if that's your reason, why bother with anything above that?

There is such a thing as mid-term future-proofing. A dual-660 Ti build won't last as long as a dual-670 FTW or dual-7970 build, which have a reasonable lifespan for maxing games. That said, two 660 Tis is a fine choice, though I would tend to go with a single, more powerful card. Basic issue with a 690 is that it's not as powerful as two 7970s or overclocked 670s, it doesn't come with a very good cooler, and it costs more. There's no need to cut into other things to get a 690, because the 690 is either not an upgrade, or a very, very minor upgrade.

Edit: I should note that by "a reasonable lifespan", I mean a year or two. Nobody expects longterm max settings without an upgrade.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

if he sold his last computer within an year, what's to stop him from doing the same lol. why even bother "future proofing" for 2-3 years into the future.

and it depends on the 690. you can overclock it pretty well... and GTX 670 FTWs overclocks terribly cause of the cooler... (yes, the stock gtx 680 cooler is better than the stock gtx 670 cooler) but you can get a windforce from gigabyte or DCII from Asus for a tiny bit more and those will overclock way better than a original FTW edition...

oh. didn't notice that you had two stock GTX 670s on there lol. those overclock very terribly...