Question New build troubles.

Apr 29, 2019
Here it goes. It's been a while since I've built a computer so I ordered some parts to replace my old rig. It worked great. Was just outdated. Otherwise no issues.

My new parts:

Intel i9 9900k (I know, Overkill...shhh)
Asus z390-E motherboard
16gb Corsair 3000mhz LPX RAM (2x8GB)
Corsair h100i CPU cooler
A few noctua case fans
Samsung 970 m.2 nvme 500GB

Existing parts:
Xfx 650w power supply
Case
Hard drives
SSD

Now, I've got everything installed and I turn it in and it lights up and the game start spinning. The board has power and it goes through the process of checking parts, at least according to the onboard POST lights. CPU.. Good. Ram. Good. Then the white VGA light comes out and I get a post beep. But then I hear a long beep with 3 short beeps. According to the manual that means "VGA not detected" and the VGA light stays lit, but then a few seconds later I get a short single beep and the "green yellow boot light" also lights up. They both remain lit up and I see absolutely nothing on my monitor.

I've tried connecting the bare minimum to post, memory dance, resetting cmos, everything I can think of. I even followed every step of a pinned post regarding steps to try before posting about No power/no post/ no video. And all of these steps have been done without the video card in the system, just connected to onboard video. I've also tried both the onboard HDMI and display port ports with multiple cables.

The only steps I have not been able to try are updating the bios, as I cannot get video, or get into the BIOS as I can see at least. Nor do I have another processor to try that I could potentially update it with.

Apart from removing the CPU, which I highly doubt is the issue, as the lights on boot show that CPU passes it's part of the POST. I've removed the ram and verified that I get a memory error beep code.

I'm also highly doubtful of it being the PSU because it was working great in my last machine.

When I built the old computer originally, my bios needed an update to support my old i5 3450. Is it possible the bios update is what's needed with my i9 9900k

I've got an i3 8100 on its way to me in the mail to see if I can troubleshoot further. I'll have it here by tomorrow night.

I'll put the i3 in and see if it posts. If it does I can try a bios update and see if the i9 works after. If the i9 doesn't work after bios update, I'll know it's the i9 that is faulty. If the i3 doesn't post at all, I'll know it's more likely the motherboard.

Am I correct in thinking this?

Any other suggestions in the meantime, or experience with that combination of POST lights?

Would love to see a going of light haha. #struggles

OctaBotGamer

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
I may be wrong (don't blame me if I am), it's very unlikely.... But your components may have gotten a static electric shock, you can look it up on Google if you don't know what that is..

Apr 29, 2019
I may be wrong (don't blame me if I am), it's very unlikely.... But your components may have gotten a static electric shock, you can look it up on Google if you don't know what that is..

I suppose that's possibly, although I wasnt working in a carpeted area. I was on a hardwood floor working on a granite countertop, and I was constantly grounding myself on a nearby water faucet. As well as touching the case prior to touching/installing/removing components.

It's unlikely but possible. Thanks for the suggestion. Would you assume it was the processor that was shocked if that was indeed the case? Or?