Question New Build, Unable To Install Windows 10

Apr 12, 2020
I Just finished putting together my first gaming PC, and I cannot get the bios to boot from a USB with the official Windows 10 disk image. I THINK the problem is that I am creating the file from a Mac. However, I downloaded NFTS for Mac to format the flash drive as a NFTS, and then I copied the bootable version of Windows that I created with terminal (using "hdiutil mount ~/Downloads/Win10_1903_V1_English_x64.iso") I then plug it in and start up the computer. Every time, no matter if I go to the Bios first, or just let it run on it's own, it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key...". I also have it selected in the bios to boot from the flash drive. Does anyone have any idea how to help me?

Update - Using UNetBootin, I was able to get the computer to boot from the usb, and start the install. However, I immediately got:
"Windows cannot open the required file C:\Sources\install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070000D"

Build:
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600x
Mobo - Gigabyte B450 Aorus M
Ram - Predatorx 16gb 3,200mHz
NVMe - Intel 660p 512gb
GPU - Zortac 2060 RTX

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you either have a bad flash drive, bad installation media OR it's because you are creating it on a Mac and using software to make it compatible. That is not how you want to do it. The installer media needs to be created on a PC of some kind.

WHICH USB port you are using might also be a factor. If you are using a front panel USB port or a hub, try using one from the back panel on the actual motherboard itself.

If you are not using the Media creation tool to create your installer media, you will want to do it that way. You should not need to use UNetBootin or anything else.

Apr 12, 2020
Sounds to me like you either have a bad flash drive, bad installation media OR it's because you are creating it on a Mac and using software to make it compatible. That is not how you want to do it. The installer media needs to be created on a PC of some kind.

WHICH USB port you are using might also be a factor. If you are using a front panel USB port or a hub, try using one from the back panel on the actual motherboard itself.

If you are not using the Media creation tool to create your installer media, you will want to do it that way. You should not need to use UNetBootin or anything else.

I have tried three different usb slots (front, 3.1, 2.0) and nothing so far. I am currently re-downloading it from Windows to put it on another usb.

the reason I had to use UNetBootin to put it on is because I kept getting the common error of "Not enough storage" , and based on what I've read is that it is because it is larger than what can be transferred with Fat32. UNetBootin allows you to put it on still. So far it is the only way that I have even been able to get to the Windows installer screen.

I've done literally hundreds of Windows installations since the release of Windows 7, up to and including Windows 10. Pretty much ALL versions of Windows that have existed since 1.0.

As for all of the versions that have allowed installation from a USB drive, I've never seen that error message. I think your problem HAS to be a product of running the creation from a Mac. I've created media and done installations on everything from the latest Ryzen platforms down to little bitty HP Stream 7 tablets that came with Windows 7 but that I've installed the full latest version of Windows 10 on. No such issue.