New build usb port problems

sspbass

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I've got a new computer with an Asus P5Q pro mobo and a cooler master case that has 2 usb ports on the top with a few other connections. I was pretty sure I had everything hooked up right but when I was setting it up and had to use some files to get my computer to recognize my hdd I used a jump drive. It then said something along the lines that it couldn't recognize it and now it wont work on any computer. I kind of wrote it off as I was excited to get my computer going, I ended up hooking up my external hdd to the same ports and now neither of my computers will recognize it. The jump drive is not a big deal but my external has a ton of data on it and I would very much like it to work. Messing around with it I put my jump drive back in for a little while and it started to really overheat leading me to think it's a power problem. The only thing I wasn't really sure on when putting this build together was two 6 pin connectors on the upper left of the mobo, one of them had a cover but in the asus manual it said something like be sure to remove the plugs on theses connectors before connecting them so I did just that. Anyone have any advice, this is my first build but I'm fairly good with computers.

You may have fried the flash drive and fried the USB interface in your exterenal HD.

If you look at your motherboard, you should see several groups of 9 pin connector blocks - sort of looks like this - ::::.

Depending what they are connected to on the motherboard, they are used for USB, Firewire, and RS-232 serial. The RS-232 serial port has +/- 12 volts on it. That will fry a USB drive. You may have plugged the case connector into the wrong header.

If so, you may be able to salvage the USB HD by buying an empty USB drive case with the proper drive interface (SATA or IDE).

sspbass

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
You were right jsc, I had them switched around. I switched them back but the usb slots on top still wont work. Could I have fried those as well or don't you think so?

sspbass

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Never mind, I switched the port on the mobo and now it works. but when I plug in a jump drive and it says it can preform faster. why wouldn't it be a 2.0 port.