[SOLVED] New build - Using old parts

Sep 11, 2020
So below is a list of what I'm currently using and below that is my predicament.

Build:
  • CPU: Intel i7 5930k (Not OC'd atm - 6 cores, 12 threads, turbos at 3.7 GHz)
  • GPU: 950 SC+ (Currently thermo throttling at ~150 F when playing games at optimized GeForce settings) -> Replaced by 3080?
  • PSU: 750W 80+ Gold
  • Ram: 16 GB of 2400 DDR4 (15-15-15-35)
  • MoBo: Asus X99-A
  • Monitors: 1080p 165Hz Refresh Rate 1ms Response Free Sync (https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG271R)
  • CPU Heat Sink: H100i (1st gen)
  • Case: NZXT Phantom 410
  • 1 TB HDD Black Edition
  • 500 GB m.2 Samsung Evo
  • 1 GB fiber (8 port switch, 3.1 modem, and 3 Eero mesh router)
So, I went ahead and purchased another 16 gb of ram since a lot of what I do is starting to consume a ton of ram usage day to day.
I received it today and long story short... defective ram broke 4 of my 8 dim slots (trust me I did windows diag didn't recognize, mem87, changes slots, increased voltage, and much more and when it recognized the sticks nothing would post).
My plan was to upgrade the ram and get a 3080 to get rid of my GPU bottleneck, but now I'm thinking to either wait for the AMD launch to get a new MoBo, GPU, CPU, case, and heat sink or ride on my 16gb that I was able to get working (old ram) and use the 3080 to increase the performance.

In y'alls opinion should I wait to replace everything or just get by with the 3080?
Considering I already have good free sync monitors the other benefit would be able to use that.
Additionally I don't plan on 4k gaming, but later I might (4k for "QOL" sucks for a lot of applications since many things aren't meant to scale to that resolution, so I actually downgraded from my 4k monitors to 1080).

Also, if you were to recommend waiting what recommendations would y'all make for the new CPU, GPU (Big Navi is my default atm), heat sink, MoBo, and case (mid tower or smaller).

Solution
You can't always just add ram - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p6
all the sticks must be tested to work together and while on your motherboard.

defective ram broke 4 of my 8 dim slots (trust me I did windows diag didn't recognize, mem87, changes slots, increased voltage, and much more and when it recognized the sticks nothing would post).
Can you use the original 4 sticks in the good slots? have you tried one of the original sticks in every slot by itself?

What PC you can get will depend on your budget and where you are/where you want to buy.
If you've got the money then go for it.
I had a similar problem with X79 and went to Ryzen. So far, so good.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
You can't always just add ram - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p6
all the sticks must be tested to work together and while on your motherboard.

defective ram broke 4 of my 8 dim slots (trust me I did windows diag didn't recognize, mem87, changes slots, increased voltage, and much more and when it recognized the sticks nothing would post).
Can you use the original 4 sticks in the good slots? have you tried one of the original sticks in every slot by itself?

What PC you can get will depend on your budget and where you are/where you want to buy.
If you've got the money then go for it.
I had a similar problem with X79 and went to Ryzen. So far, so good.

Solution