[SOLVED] New build using old RAM, will only POST with stock RAM speed ?

Sam_Ares

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
So I upgraded my PC today and everything worked fine. Then I went to enable A-XMP in bios and my PC wouldn't POST so I had to clear CMOS. I tried both profiles (they're the same) and I also tried manually trying to get anything above 2133Mhz, but no dice. Im wondering if there's anything else I could try or should I just buy a new kit ?

I'm just worried that it might not be my ram and might be something else. It's a shame because literally today on my old build before I transplanted the ram, drives, and gpu I was pulling 3000mhz with my i5-9600k. So it's a little worrying to be honest.

My Specs:
CPU: AMD 5800x
Ram: 4x8GB GSkill Aegis 3000Mhz
Mobo: MSI B550 A-Pro
GPU: 2070 Super
PSU: AresGame 750w

Note I am in fact on the latest bios, I tried that as well.

I appreciate any attempt at answering my question, thank you.

Sam_Ares

Prominent
Nov 2, 2019
Have you tried one or two modules at a time to see if anything works? With A-XMP enabled have you tried a lower DRAM Frequency such as 2933? 2800?

If no positive feedback then you may need a kit listed on the G.Skill RAM Configurator:

https://www.gskill.com/configurator...524715120&chipset=1603934649&model=1603937784

Okay so after testing sticks individually I was able to get 2/4 of the sticks working at 3000Mhz. I tried the other two in different slots and couldn't post with them in XMP. So I'm wondering If the trade off from 32GB (2133Mhz) to 16Gb (3000Mhz) is worth it and if there are any ideas to why two of these sticks can't boost, but the other two can, and if maybe there is some troubleshooting I can do.

To be honest these 4 sticks were originally purchased separately as two separate 16GB kits after reading that a lot of people with these kits could get them to work and sure enough when I got them they did work together and they're all actually dated the same month and models etc... because I didn't purchase them very far apart. But honestly I'm not sure that's relevant considering I can't even verify that the ones that are working are even apart from the same kit, and these that won't boost won't even boost individually. Is it worth RMAing the two sticks that can't boost?