New Build using some existing hardware?

jamiestaton

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hi guys, this is my second time posting. I am currently looking at building my own gaming system and am wondering if some of my old hardware would be viable to use in the short term to keep initial costs down.

Here is my current build

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50 GHZ
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G31M-E2SL
Memory: 3GB DDR2
Storage: Hitachi 1TB Sata 3
Drive: Sony AD-5240s 24x DVD/CD
Video Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 1gb
Case: Gigabyte GZ-X1
Power Supply: Alpine 750W

Obviously this system is fairly out of date now although it still seems to run fairly new games at medium settings, and still gives me 50 fps on WoW!

Here is the Hardware I am considering buying first off

Asus P8Z77-V LX Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Zotac GTX 650 Ti 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Dual HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory
Sandisk 120GB Ultra SSD

That lot in total is roughly £420, which is approximately the budget i had (Maybe £500)

My questions are

1. Will my current PSU be enough for the new software?
2. Are the parts I am looking at buying good enough to run titles like BF3, BOPS 2, Arma 2 etc at decent framerates?
3. Is my case good enough to house these components, providing sufficient air flow etc? (Or for an extra £50 should i upgrade with a better PSU included)
4. Will I be able to install my OEM version of windows 7 to my SSD drive with having a new motherboard and processor?
5. Is there any other parts you could recommend instead?

Thankyou in advance for any input on my current topic, it is much appreciated!, This is the first time I am dabbling in building my own Gaming PC and I am trying to get myself prepared by doing as much research as I can into my new products and how to fit them.

Jamie

biggkenny

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
1. I don't know the efficiency of that PSU but I'd expect that it'd be adequate for single GPU and that CPU. Also you mean hardware :p
2. http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=855&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=7 Seems like that GPU would be good enough and the CPU you picked is the best choice.
3. The 650 isnt particularly big so if its a mid sized case I'd expect so.
4. Yes you should be able to.
5. Ram is perfect. CPU is perfect. Decent GPU. Can't complain about an SSD. Motherboard will be adequate.

I'm surprised you can find all that for £420. Seems too good.