New build: W7 installation can't create new system partition on SSD

Sitzkrieg

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
My new build is on a gigabyte H97 D3H. I have new HDD and, temporarily, a couple of old ones. I also have a new Samsung 840 evo SSD that I want to install W7 64 on.
I'm having problems, so just in case, I disconnected the old HDD that had previously been used for windows.
The installation fails at the point where I select the SSD as the drive I want to install to.
Following advice given to another post on TH, I used diskpart to convert the SSD to MBR. That led to a message saying windows can only install to a GPT disk from an EFI system, so I went back to diskpart and converted the SSD back to GPT.
Now I am back to square one. The error message is back to "Setup was unable to create a new system partition, or locate an existing one"
I have also tried the New and Format options on this screen.
The only option I haven't tried is load driver.
I am on the outer edge of my very limited knowledge here and I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Solution
First go to BIOS set it to Factory Defaults

Second - Disable EFI or UEFI boot if you're installing windows 7

Then try these steps.

To deep clean and pre-partition your HD, boot the Windows 7 installer, Press Shift F10, type:
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (for Windows 7 disk)
clean all (writes zeroes, takes about an hour per 320gb, drop "all" for faster)
create partition primary
select partition 1
assign letter=c:
active
Format fs=ntfs quick

exit

Nirmalr7

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014
First go to BIOS set it to Factory Defaults

Second - Disable EFI or UEFI boot if you're installing windows 7

Then try these steps.

To deep clean and pre-partition your HD, boot the Windows 7 installer, Press Shift F10, type:
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (for Windows 7 disk)
clean all (writes zeroes, takes about an hour per 320gb, drop "all" for faster)
create partition primary
select partition 1
assign letter=c:
active
Format fs=ntfs quick

exit

Solution
Run windows setup.
And at the point of where it asks you to select the drive.
Don`t simply click next.

You must click on drive option down on the left in blue writing.
Delete all existing created partitions.
Then format the drive through windows setup.
It should then begin to install windows.

If it fails it means, you have two sata controller chips in the bios of the motherboard.
Depending on what is selected, you may need to install the sata driver of the disk provided before clicking next
This is also an option where it gets to where, or what drive you wish to install windows to.
The sata driver may need to be installed so the sata chipset of the board can be fully used.

Also check what mode you have set for the drive, Make sure it is not set to raid or any option is turned on.
Either make sure SATA NB: (Can require the Sata chipset driver to be pre loaded in windows setup)
Or set the drive to AHCI device mode in the bios.

One or the other will resolve the problem of windows not finding the device on the interface or sata port.

Sitzkrieg

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
Thanks, I didn't have to do all of that, but it put me on the right track. I changed the BIOS boot sequence to prevent booting off the UEFI version of the optical drive, set the rest of the BIOS to default. I also disconnected the other hdd's.
Using diskpart I changed my SSD back to MBR and thought I'd give it a try and bingo! Windows installed without any further problems.

Nirmalr7

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014

I'm glad it worked out for you.. I often have this kind of problem at the workshop..

Best Regards

jmeile

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Thanks Nirmalr7. This worked for me, but I have to add something else here:

I had a Windows 7 ghost image, so I restored it to a Samsung SSD 850 EVO Basic hard disk, but on the first boot, I got:
File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt

I tried to run the Startup repair for Windows 7, but it didn't worked. The settings on the BIOS were also correctly set to AHCI. So, I deleted all the partitions of the SSD by using gparted. Then I created a DOS Partition table. Then I decided to install Windows 7, but the installer didn't detect my SSD, so, I had to load the Intel® RSTe Drivers (F6-drivers), but then while trying to create the main partition, I got:
"Setup was unable to create a new system partition, or locate an existing one"

Then, instead of pressing "Shift F10" you have to wait till the installer is ready and press the link: "Repair your computer". On the following dialog: "System Recovery Options" you will find a button: "Load drivers", which you have to click to load the Intel drivers. Afterwards, you can select: "Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows", then you can choose the "Command Prompt". Finally, I ran the DISKPART commands mentioned by Nirmalr7. Please note that I tried without loading the drivers, with the "Shift F10" shortcut, but the command prompt didn't see my SSD.

After all of this, I could run the install Windows 7, but again you need to load the Intel drivers before starting the installation. At the end, I got a fully bootable Windows 7.

I guess that if I had tried to repair my restored ghost image by loading first the Intel drivers, this should have worked as well. Anyway, now I know it, so, before destroying all partitions, I will try first that option.

Best regards
Josef

Julien Bouz

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015

Thank you very much! I tried many many solutions I found on the internet without success but yours is the one!

Cheers

Julien

Levivel

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

Thank you!

dionoob

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015

I love you thank you so much

dbarless

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
I have actually tried this and I still have no luck. When I boot into Windows, Windows sees the SSD and I can move files to it, but when I try and install a clean copy of windows, no dice.

Nirmalr7

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014

Hi Josef,

Sorry for the late reply. Concerning your Samsung SSD, I would recomend you to install Samsung Data Migration Tool Software on the HDD and then create the image on to the SSD. Follow Link Below
http://ssd.samsungsemi.com/ecomobile/ssd/update13.do?fname=/Samsung_Data_Migration_Setup_v30.zip
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Regards
Nirmal

Jwely

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

Worked perfectly for me. Good solution.

Rauldan77

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi ....for those ho have 2 ssd drive....solution to install windows 7 is this.....shotdown pc---get out power cable from power supply---take the ssd u dont want to install windows--- putt back power cavble --press power button---press f8---select stik drive where u have the windows (butt NOT version with UEFI OR EFI !!!!! Then format and clik next...i hope i was help....it s the only way mai ssd warcks....have a nice day