I am building a new PC primarily for video editing Components are :
AMD Threadripper 2950X CPU
ASUS X399-A Motherboard
Corsair vengeance pro 64 GB RAM.
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M2 SSD 2TB
Samsung 1TB SSD
Corsair 850 watt Power Supply

Windows 10 OS.

Where is the best place to install my Windows 10 on the Samsung EVO or the other SSD ?
Would I also install the software on the same Drive ?

1) M.2 SSD as it's the fastest with lowest latency for Windows bootup etc.

2) *However, when you start the Windows install I recommend doing it this way:

a) have ONLY the M.2 SSD attached, then
b) when the appropriate Install page pops up you can ALLOCATE the amount of space you want for the Windows partition. I'd use roughly 200GB, then the remainder as a 2nd partition (will show up as E-drive likely)

c) once Windows is Installed and the other SSD there, install Samsung Magician and apply OP (Overprovisioning) to each SSD. I do a CUSTOM value of 5% if the SSD is 500GB or larger as 10% is overkill IMO.

d) Setup a tool like Acronis True Image to create automated backups of C-drive (Windows). I use these basic settings (confusing at first):
a) Incremental (Chain of one new plus 4 incrementals),
b) weekly,
c) 2nd highest compression level (top one takes way longer for just a small space savings)
d) auto delete older than ONE CHAIN (so I always have at least five backup points covering just over a month)

Other:
run MEMTEST86 prior to installing Windows to verify the CPU partially, motherboard partially, and the DDR4 memory... that's very important for any system, especially Threadripper.

*And don't forget some games or applications may have NUMA issues and need some cores disabled

4) Programs?
All programs should go on C-drive partition except if you have lots of games. The reason I don't just put lots of games (which you may not even have) on a big 2TB SSD is then the backup SIZE for an Image would be massive.

I have most games on an HDD, and some on a secondary SSD. I have Windows, and applications on my 250GB Windows SSD (roughly 200GB after OP etc and I end up about HALF the space used over time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsveMWRdNxo

Skip to about 2min30s (before that he deletes previously used partitions) so you should see all the unallocated space of roughly 1860GB (or 1024x that in MB's) or so for 2TB SSD.

So..
1) Click "NEW" so you edit the size of 1st partition
2) choose say "220,000MB" (probably ends up roughly 200GB usable) or whatever you want. There are ways to make this larger letter but I see no need.

3) once you save that the video doesn't show the rest for the 2nd partition. I didn't see a video that showed that. (It should make sense though.. just save the numbers shown for the 2nd partition).

4) make sure that the proper 200GB partition is selected for the Windows Installation.

*I literally just did this two weeks ago on a 500GB SSD for my sister to install W10 Home. It's very easy.

Jan 11, 2019

I'm trying to do the same, it's just older hardware build plus Audio and 2d motion animation. The point is moving programs and their files, folders and trying to get the best out of what you have.

Whether you do this for a living or just for kicks, here's a possible drive setup.
Let me say before going any further
there should be others that can be far more helpful than I can!

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M2 SSD 2TB = (Working Drive)
Samsung 1TB SSD = ( OS/Programs)

Be sure to have a good backup system in place.

Cheers