EszettT

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Hello Tom's Hardware,

I just recently built a new computer with the assistance of some more experienced friends with the following configuration:

ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 2.66 GHz
OCZ Signature 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
EVGA GeForce 9800GT 512MB DDR3 PCIe HDMI
Hitachi 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH22LS50 LightScribe Support - OEM
XION Solaris XON-403 Black with Green LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Everything looks fine when I turn on the machine - the fans spin, the hard drive whirs, the DVD drive will open and close. But it won't POST (zero beeps) and there is no signal being sent to my VGA monitor, which makes me suspect one of my parts is shot. I worry that my friends may not have grounded themselves before diving into the case, but they said it shouldn't be an issue (though I am skeptical of this, I never went in without a wrist-strap).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I will provide any more details as they come forth.

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
you should try to find the culprit by isolating hardware..

use as little hardware as you can.. also, does the mobo have a debug LED?

If everything powers on, I feel like it shouldn't be a short. You can try booting with just one stick of ram.

If you have a spare working video card, plug that in. Most likely isn't the CPU as it's rather hard to kill a CPU. There's not much you can do except try to find the culprit by trying different working parts.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Make sure the PSU connector is properly plugged into the mobo. First if you have an extra PSU, try that, if that still doesn't work, it's probably the Mobo (with no beeps even).

Also, do you have the memory sticks in the correct slots for only having two? Check the manual for if you are only using two sticks.