Question New build Win10 hangs and won't load - NOT bad MoBo, Drive, or RAM

Reddrumjay

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Build specs:
MoBo: ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming (WiFi)
CPU: i9-9900K
RAM: HyperX HX433C16PB3K4/64
GPU: Onboard, for now (waiting for 3080 - LOL)
Storage: Intel SSD 6 M.2 1TB
PSU: GameMax RGB-750
KYBD/Mouse combo: Reddragon

The system will boot into BIOS without issue. I installed WIN10 on the M.2 drive via USB installation media. On reboot, I get the POST screen, then the boot splash screen and spinning dots, the splash refreshes, and then the spinning dots and HDD LED stop. I have tried reinstalling three times, with the same results. I pulled all the RAM and tried with a known working stick from another machine and got the same results. I then pulled the M.2 and tried with a SSD with WIN7 from another working machine, and it boots into repair mode. UPDATE: Also tried SATA drive with Win 10. No dice.

I am guessing this is some type of MoBo issue that is preventing windows from loading. I tried disconnecting all USB/AAFP/RGB headers and reinstalling to M.2 and trying with WIN7 SSD, all with the same results. UPDATE: replaced MoBo with same model - same issue.

I've hit the end of what I can think of to do to troubleshoot.

Last edited:

Reddrumjay

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
What USB pendrive? Have you tried another?

I have tried a Lexor and a PNY.

Still at a total loss here - replaced MoBo, and got the same result. That leaves CPU, PSU, or something funky with BIOS (I did update to current version).

Pulled a drive from another system and couldn’t get into windows.

Then you've pretty much ruled out bad usb stick at least .

I am guessing this is some type of MoBo issue that is preventing windows from loading.
um, no. If you get any windows-like icon or like on your screen, it's more likely a driver issue. At least from my own experience.

Ok - you believe the mobo is the culprit, so let test one more thing:
Grab some known Linux distro (Linux Mint, Ubuntu Mate, will do just good). Download the ISO image file, then you make a bootable USB stick (or dvd) and try to boot it up (live session, you don't need to install anything or touch the existing system) to it's desktop. Then open the "Disks" utility and see if you can access all partitions (you can also use that tool to check the s.m.a.r.t. status of the drives).

Reddrumjay

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Then you've pretty much ruled out bad usb stick at least .

um, no. If you get any windows-like icon or like on your screen, it's more likely a driver issue. At least from my own experience.

Ok - you believe the mobo is the culprit, so let test one more thing:
Grab some known Linux distro (Linux Mint, Ubuntu Mate, will do just good). Download the ISO image file, then you make a bootable USB stick (or dvd) and try to boot it up (live session, you don't need to install anything or touch the existing system) to it's desktop. Then open the "Disks" utility and see if you can access all partitions (you can also use that tool to check the s.m.a.r.t. status of the drives).

MoBo is not the culprit. I replaced it.
At this point, the only components I have not swapped out are CPU and PSU.

After installing WIN10, it reboots, goes through detecting and setting up devices, reboots, and then freezes.