[SOLVED] New Build - Windows 10 install ERROR - - Need Help!

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
Got my first build put together yesterday. Went pretty smooth, took my time. At the end of the day, I hit the power button and... It posted.

Todays mission is to install Windows 10 64bit Pro (without a license for now)

Got off to a bad start when the install flash drive was not recognized by the PC.

This was always a fear because I have to create the WinInstall USB disk on my Mac. I went through several different ways to transfer the iso to the drive. All but the last one fail to even be recognized. The last one was recognized, in fact it started the install as if it was going to be fine. This method had a lot of step and worked via Terminal (https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/h...build-a-bootable-iso-from-your-macs-terminal/) This approach split the large installer file in to two files, which Windows 10 is supposed to reassemble. This is all to get past a 4gb file size of the formatting.

Just to be safe I was following along with a Youtube video asa they went through the install process. I made it to the screen where it asks "Where do you want to install Windows?". (FYI I'm installing on a new 1tb M.2 nvme drive). After hitting "Next" it seemed to work fine until an error message appeared. I did not write this message down, I wish I had.

I think the problem is related to the installer being in two parts, but that's just a guess.

Now when I get to the same screen, "Where do you want to install Windows?" it shows 3 partitions. 90mb System, 16mb MSR, 931.3 gb Primary. Now when I hit "Next" it presents the error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files.

I now seems to have gone backwards. I can get to this screen but no farther.

Any ideas? Thanks, emcee2

Solution
Mixing and matching the iso files with all of the differently formatted USB drives I'd created, I stumbled across a combination that worked and let me delete, format and even install.

I'm currently running through updates.

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
Mixing and matching the iso files with all of the differently formatted USB drives I'd created, I stumbled across a combination that worked and let me delete, format and even install.

I'm currently running through updates.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Solution
The partitions I was trying to delete we create during the failed Windows install on the PC's drive, not on the USB drive.
exactly why i stated to use a disk management software.
to delete partitions and re-format the disk that you were installing Windows onto, not the USB.

but glad you got one of the frankenstein installers to work.
would probably've been much easier to just take ~5mins to create the real MS installer with the Media Creation Tool though.

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
No M.2 drive on the Mac.

No Media Creation Tool on the Mac.

No Windows computer except the new build.

Glad I was able to get up and running despite these hurdles.