New Build- Windows 7 won't boot after installing video drivers- HELP!

mwarner1111

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Hi, Im new here and have run into a problem. Im building a new pc from scratch, which is only the second one Ive built. The pc will boot and I can install Windows with no problems. The problem I have is that when I install the video drivers Windows wont boot once restarted. It will get to the Windows Start screen and then go to a no signal screen, then freeze on a black screen. If I restart in safe mode and uninstall the video drivers everything works fine again. I have tried everything: installing drivers from cd, website, and device manager, reinstalled Windows several times to no avail. I have even swapped the motherboard for a new one. Everything works fine before the video drivers are installed, with the exception of poor resolution. Can anyone please help me?

Specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium G860
GPU: None- onboard graphics
MOBO: Gigabyte H61N-USB3 mini ITX
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600
PSU: Inland 500W Gold Series ATX
HDD: Toshiba 1TB

Solution
Should I just leave well enough alone now?
Not much of a choice, enjoy your system and when it is time to upgrade to win-8 (comes with all drivers) or a discrete video card we can revisit the issue if necessary.
cheers

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Try this, restart your computer press F8 before the windows logo appear, you can press many times as you like until a menu will appear then go safe mode. Once you entered to the windows in safe mode you can uninstall the driver. You maybe installed the wrong driver. Restart computer then find the best driver that fits. Or more likely you set to the resolution beyond your built-in GPU can handle, try to lower the resolution next time, now if you want higher resolution why not buy a video card for that so it can handle with a breeze?

mwarner1111

Honorable
May 19, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I just tried that (adjusting resolution in control panel) and resolution looks perfect now, but do I still need to install video drivers? Windows update installed a new video driver after I uninstalled the drivers that I installed that caused the problems and the same problem occurred, so I went back and uninstalled that driver as well, so it seems that there is definitely a problem with installing the video drivers. Your suggestion solved the poor resolution problem, but does not installing any drivers cause any issues? Should I just leave well enough alone now?

Also, should I now go back and install all other drivers from either the MOBO disc/website? I went through cpu, audio, etc. in device manager and it said drivers were up to date for everything. As of now I haven't installed any chipset, audio, storage drivers from manufacturer, only LAN drivers from the disc, so should I install any of those from the disc or manufacturers site if device manager says all are up to date?

And pugs, I did go into safe mode to remove the video drivers I installed once they caused a problem and it fixed the booting issue. I could not find any good drivers that did not cause that same problem, whether from MOBO disc, website, or through device manager, installing video drivers caused the boot issue.

Thanks all.

Should I just leave well enough alone now?
Not much of a choice, enjoy your system and when it is time to upgrade to win-8 (comes with all drivers) or a discrete video card we can revisit the issue if necessary.
cheers

Solution

mwarner1111

Honorable
May 19, 2013

Thanks for the help. I am leaving everything as is. This PC is for my mom for basic web surfing, basic games, etc. so it should be fine for now. I did notice that it wouldn't let me apply some of the screen savers (said needed to upgrade card or drivers), and some of the games (ie: bejeweled) ran a bit slow. Not sure if that's because of the lack of the updated drivers or because Im just using the onboard graphics. I may buy a cheap GPU for her in the future if she feels she needs it. I was also thinking that maybe there is a conflict b/t the drivers already on there and the new ones, and that I maybe should have tried to remove the existing drivers before installing new ones. I may try that, but for now it works.
Thanks.

mwarner1111

Honorable
May 19, 2013

Hey, this thread is quite old but saw that you are having the same problem. This maybe a little late but from what I recall I had to uninstall the existing video drivers right after initial boot up before going to the manufacturers website and dowloading the up to date ones, then everything worked fine.

Marek_4

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015

Hi, thanks!
However, my card simply died, co this was not the case. Thanks anyway, and good luck!