[SOLVED] New build - Windows won't play videos - 0xc00d36b4

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
New machine - Ryzen 3950x/ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII/Gigabyte 2070S - all going well. Installed and tested my apps and all working great (and fast!). New retail version of Win 10 Home.

This morning I just tried to play some personal videos .mp4 and .mov and got Windows error 0xc00d36b4 format not supported. Same exact files play fine on all my other Windows machines. .mkv gets the same error.

YouTube videos through browser play fine and Steam performance test produced good results.

I've spent all morning searching online for what I assume to be some fundamental setting or missing element but nothing I've tried has worked... :(

TIA in advance for any suggestions!

Wyatt

Solution
You are likely correct. I never use Windows Media Player, i prefer to use Potplayer and VLC instead.

Ugghhh...finally resolved the issue....after ALL flippin' day working on this :(

I'd just built this machine and first booted it on April 3....so had spent a week fine tuning a moderate overclock, installing Office and a multitude of other apps before finding this issue. One of the first things I installed and setup is a nightly backup to my Windows Server 2012 which serves as Media Server and backup for all of my machines.

I went through several regression attempts to see where the failure may have started - several Windows, AMD and Nvidia updates along the way....
  1. Wipe/restore to 4/6 - same problem.
  2. Wipe/restore...

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
Just install K-Lite Codec Pack to make sure you are not missing any video or audio codecs.

Thanks for your reply - I downloaded the K-Lite pack and was starting to install it when it mentioned that the install would not fix any issues with the Windows Movies & TV app. All of my other devices play these files with the Movies & TV app so there seems to be some underlying anomaly with this new machine.

I suspect the alternative K-Lite player would work, however, I would just be covering up whatever problem there is - since this is a brand new build, I don't want to do that just yet....

Thanks for your reply - I downloaded the K-Lite pack and was starting to install it when it mentioned that the install would not fix any issues with the Windows Movies & TV app. All of my other devices play these files with the Movies & TV app so there seems to be some underlying anomaly with this new machine.

I suspect the alternative K-Lite player would work, however, I would just be covering up whatever problem there is - since this is a brand new build, I don't want to do that just yet....
You are likely correct. I never use Windows Media Player, i prefer to use Potplayer and VLC instead.

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014

Ugghhh...finally resolved the issue....after ALL flippin' day working on this :(

I'd just built this machine and first booted it on April 3....so had spent a week fine tuning a moderate overclock, installing Office and a multitude of other apps before finding this issue. One of the first things I installed and setup is a nightly backup to my Windows Server 2012 which serves as Media Server and backup for all of my machines.

I went through several regression attempts to see where the failure may have started - several Windows, AMD and Nvidia updates along the way....
  1. Wipe/restore to 4/6 - same problem.
  2. Wipe/restore to 4/4 - first ever backup; same problem.
  3. Fresh install of Windows - videos played but no sound. At this point I decided to go back to current.
  4. Wipe/restore to backup from this afternoon.
  5. Began troubleshooting as Audio problem and not video format. Found that .mp3 audio files said not supported.

Disabled Sound Enhancement in audio settings and all working fine now.....FINALLY....glass of wine in hand!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reactions: rocktalkrock
Solution