New build with a HAF X- Anything I should know?

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
So I have this new rig on the way, and just wanted to see if there was anything in particular I should know about a new build with a Cooler Master HAF X full tower case. As usual when building with a full tower, cable lengths can be a concern. It's like there is a disconnect with MB and PSU manufacturers or something, who often don't provide long enough cables for a full tower build. I am putting in an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe. For complete details on the build, click on my sig.

I would like to hear from people that either own or have owned and/or built with this case. I know about the optional fan, and I will probably have to order it, as they no longer appear to ship the second top fan- or it is a matter of luck. But any insight or "gotchas" is really what I want to know about. Thanks.

Here is a link to the case at Cooler Master:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=18&product_id=2988

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Thanks but as stated, the parts in my build are ordered and on trucks already. This is not about what components to select, that is done. I am just looking for any particulars about building with this case.

hubbster

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
I just put the same mb in HAF X case. Only had one big issue and that was my CM 212 baseplate doesnt fit into the cutout on the back of the case. Now i'm stuck. I just put the stock cooler on for now but cant decide what my best course of action is.... If you find a cooler that fits let me know lol.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

If that happens to me they will be the last Cooler Master products I will ever buy. There is no excuse for something as stupid as that. But that is exactly the kind of "gotcha" I posted this thread for, so I appreciate it. I am just hoping it is something you are overlooking, but that does not sound good at all.

I am already seriously pissed because UPS is STILL holding on to my entire shipment, and won't deliver cause my gravel drive has 1/2" of snow on it. But after hearing that, this is going to be a real bad day. :fou:

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I have the CM Storm Scout with a CM V8 cooler, same size cut-out and backplate. They don't line up perfectly centered, but had no issues with install. Straight on access to mounting hardware. As for UPS.....

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Thanks jockey. I figured it would probably be something along those lines. I was more worried that it wouldn't fit at all on a new build. I don't need access through the cutout, cause the cooler will be mounted before the board goes in. I just want to know there is no problem with that.

hubbster

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
I had also installed it before putting it in the case, but the metal bracket was making contact with the case. Im not sure if there was a slight clearance that just was not apparent until the screw were placed to hold the mb in. Why couldn't they make the cutout an inch bigger and elminate this problem. I guess my real question now is if its a problem for the metal backplate to be touching the case? IE I was woring about it actualy grounding my cpu to the case...... OK now you know I am a complete newb, but I have no idea

hubbster

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
Oh also you may have issues installing the second fan on top. I took out the USB cables etc and it still makes contact with all the other cables, not allowing you to puch the case top down. But all in all I love the case, just those two issues that were frustrating setbacks building the system

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Well for me that was an enjoyable build on the HAF X. Clean, uncluttered, great cable management. And they even beveled the cable side of the case outward to allow for the cables. No problem with the cooler or back plate. The USB 3.0 issue- :sarcastic: that's a loose end.

Posting on the little beast now. I'm thrilled how quiet it is. Amazing actually. Just got it built, so I'm off to install some more stuff. :bounce:

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

:wahoo:

Thanks. Yeah this is nice. Like real nice. Nice to have all four case fans and cpu fan being tracked in the BIOS.

There is more about this system, the build, components, and now some light benchmarks on it in this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/296722-28-2600k-build-ordering-ideas-welcome

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Impressive. I think this years' extra pennys might get this AMD fan parts for an Intel I7K build. I also like the fact that Intel is offering SLI and Xfire support with their new board chips. I've also already heard of i7 2500K's going over 4.5 ghz on air.
Those chips' OC ability might get more popular than Phenom II X2 BE's being potentially unlockable to x4's.

nandu_n

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009

Can I convert USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 using the convertor with the second optional fan on the top?

Anand

jcliftonmeek

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

You have probably received the case, and I hope it's gone well. However, this case has a statistically significant occurance of a really painful problem: it kills motherboards. I built a great system using this case (which, ultimately, is a great case and with a Cooler Master Silent Gold power supply has good cable length . . . but keep reading). The front panel i/o board has wires that protrude excessively far, plus those protruding wires are closely apposed to the wires to the Power/Reset/LED switches. In manufacturing assembly, the protruding wires can and sometimes do penetrate the insulation of the switch wires causing a terminal short to whatever subcircuit is thus affected, for me, this fried the USB and audio circuits of FOUR motherboards before i tracked the problem down. Fortunately, Newegg is awesome and RMAed all four MBs.

For anyone who has this board, getting to the i/o panel is easy (six tabs, lift off top). Check it and put some insualtion between the switches and the panel/board. A common insulator in electronics is simply cardboard, such as the backing of a notepad. I ground down the protruding wires with a Dremel for safety.

Cooler Master has great products. ***HOWEVER,*** if you have problems, then they bite. They ONLY have online chat tech support. They have no follow-through. For an objective opinion, the San Diego Better Business Bureau shows that they have *earned* an "F" rating.

Been there, done that .... that's one of the intangibles that doesn't get enough attention. One thing I love about Antec is they answer the telephone ... and you don't talk to a high school student w/ 1 week of TS training, you get an actual "computer geek" who not only will answer your questions and provide you w/ what you need but actually knows more than you do !

When I had 4 cases on new builds for my office that had USb 1.1 front panel ports, I called up about 3 weeks after USB 2 came out and asked if I could buy new front panel USB modules .... they sent 4 of em , no charge. When I had a fan fail 17 months after completing a build (5 months after warranty expired) they sent two fans for no charge, not even shipping.

When I needed help disabling the vari-speed and 3 speed switches so i could use MoBo fan speed control, they guided me through it "on the phone".

nandu_n

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009

I had contacted cooler master india manager and they say that HAF X is completely safe. They do agree that HAF X had a problem with first lot of shipments but after that they have fixed the issue.

scottyplo

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
There not MB Killers anymore just got one from newegg last month any that have been put out in 2011 have a little piece of plasic inbetween the sharp welds and the cables preventing it from shorting the firewire to the led.

if your still worried about it just dont plug the firewire cable into your MB. usb3.0 is better anyway