New build with AMD 2400G and MSI B450I no post

Jan 4, 2019
I'm working on a new HTPC build with:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
MSI B450I
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

[There are other components, but my troubleshooting has me down to these core components]

I have been unable to get the system to display any video or post at all. I have replaced the MOBO, tried 2 PSUs, swapped out RAM with known working sticks of the same model. AT this point all I have installed is the CPU, PSU and one stick of RAM, and I still get no video. The debugging lights usually all go out, but sometimes the BOOT light will stay lit (this was the same on both MOBOs). The fans spin, the keyboard lights up, but no boot/post.

I've been through several "no post/boot" checklists, and checked the build on pcpartpicker for compatibility, and I don't believe that I'm making a silly mistake (though it certainly wouldn't be the first time).

At this point it seems like it has to be a bad CPU, but I figured I'd ask y'all before I returned it (this would be my first time getting a bad CPU out of the box). Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for things I could be missing, or am I right to zero in on the CPU?

Jan 4, 2019

I'm using an HDMI cable off the board to a 4K TV. I've tried two different cables with the same result.

Jan 4, 2019

So, that seems to have sussed it. Thank you!

Does this mean any time I need to get into the BIOS I'll need to go through the monitor instead of the TV?

Jan 4, 2019

Interesting. I've used this TV when building other HTPCs and never had a problem getting into the BIOS before. But, all works now, thank you for your help.