[SOLVED] New Build with Cloned Drives - i9-9900k - Why is my new build Freezing after bootup?

Ian Cesare

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
Its been awhile since I have built my last computer as well, so please treat me like I'm new at this.
I recently upgraded my build with all brand new parts, then cloned my OS/drive from a 500gb Samsung EVO SSD to a 1tb Samsung 970 PRO NVME SSD using Ease Partition.

I installed the new drive into my new build - then after a somewhat long boot-up time, I would be able to login like normal.
After maybe 5 minutes of logging into Windows 10, my computer will freeze and I am unable to bring up task manager.

I took everything apart and checked all wiring, plugged everything back in, reseated the CPU, and cursed at this thing more times than I can count.

Bios settings are default, CPU temps around 30-35c, XMP profile is off. I can stay in the Bios settings longer than 5 mins without freezing.
I also noticed that even with my ethernet plugged in directly into the MOBO, there is no connection to the internet.

New Build:

i9-9900k
MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon MOBO
Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080ti Waterforce GPU
Corsair Vengeance Pro 64gb (4x16gb) 3200mhz
Corsair RM1000x PSU
Corsair H150i Pro Cooler
Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic Case

Old Build (just in case?)

i7-4770k
MSI Z97-G45 MOBO
Nvidia GTX 970 GPU
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 2400mhz
Corsair RM1000
Corsair H110 Cooler

Picture

I haven't flashed the BIOS/MOBO yet and I'm hoping I won't have to - I have never flashed BIOS before and am scared of bricking my MOBO.
I have built a few computers before with few issues, but I am by no means an expert at this.

Should I do a clean install of Windows 10 and just start fresh or would there be an issue with the way I installed my components...?
I'm open to any comments or suggestions - please send help!

Solution
Motherboard change.
And then change from a SATA drive to an NVMe.

And now its failing?
Yes, that often happens.

Two choices:
  1. Spend the next several weeks attempting to "fix this" (which may never result in success).
  2. Cut your losses, and do a clean install on the NVMe in the new system.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This can be a common problem with cloned operating systems.
Being as you are encountering an issue, first place is to clean reinstall.

It's always best practice to clean reinstall after major hardware change, otherwise you can carry over residual junk and drivers that can cause conflicts with new hardware.

Reactions: Ian Cesare

Ian Cesare

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
This can be a common problem with cloned operating systems.
Being as you are encountering an issue, first place is to clean reinstall.

It's always best practice to clean reinstall after major hardware change, otherwise you can carry over residual junk and drivers that can cause conflicts with new hardware.

I see - I might end up just doing a clean install then.

Appreciate the feedback!

Reactions: PC Tailor

Ian Cesare

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
Motherboard change.
And then change from a SATA drive to an NVMe.

And now its failing?
Yes, that often happens.

Two choices:
  1. Spend the next several weeks attempting to "fix this" (which may never result in success).
  2. Cut your losses, and do a clean install on the NVMe in the new system.

Oof I didn't know that - this is my first time using NVME in a build.
I'm pretty sure I'll just end up doing a clean install then.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Oof I didn't know that - this is my first time using NVME in a build.
I'm pretty sure I'll just end up doing a clean install then.

Thanks
Going from SATA III to NVMe often has issues.
Going from Z97 + i7-4770k to Z390 + i9-9900k often has issues.

Doing both at the same time? 'Issues' are almost guaranteed to result.
Windows is not as modular as we all want it to be. Differing hardware often results in tears.