[SOLVED] New Build with limited NVME performance

Jul 22, 2019
HI,

Jumped over to AMD and their 3900x complete with Asus Crosshair VIII Hero M/B and I'm having a myriad of problems. The latest issue I've noticed is my new Samsung 970 Pro 512GB installed into the M.2_1 slot on the M/B is not giving me full performance.

Poor%20m2%20Performance_zpscfefrlxo.png

As you can see I'm getting roughly half of the performance i should be. It is running to PCIE 3.0 x 4 spec and I'm lost as to what's causing this and unable to find any windows or BIOS settings that relate. Any help would be appropriated. Thanks.

Solution
Check the M2's port link speed in the Onboard Device Configuration section of the bios. It allows you to set the PCIE version for the port (Gen 1, 2, 3, or 4)
You installed the Samsung driver?
Check the M2's port link speed in the Onboard Device Configuration section of the bios. It allows you to set the PCIE version for the port (Gen 1, 2, 3, or 4)
You installed the Samsung driver?
To get the MAXIMUM speed you have to use all 4 NVMe lanes. Some NVMe on some motherboards only run in 2 lane mode. That would explain your half data rate. (Yet the 4 lanes drive remain backwards compatible with a 2 lane slot)

There's also an issue with the AMD AGESA ABA revision where Gen 4 PCIe speeds revert back to Gen 2 causing stability issues. That would also explain your half speed. AMD has recalled this version.