Question New build with old graphic card, no FPS gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2022
Hello all..
I made an upgrade from i7 2600 to ryzen 7 5800x, and everything is running smoothly.
Unfortunately I did not buy a new graphic card, my gtx 970 will be ok for several months.

I was hoping that after the upgrade I would have a least 10-15% more FPS on the games I play (AC Valhalla, Borderlands 3, Witcher 3, FarCry 5...)
but it seems that the low-fps are better, no screen tearing (I used to have sometimes, even with Vsync ON), maybe I get few fps but not something significant.
With this graphic card I try to be around 45-60 fps, with medium details I usually can.

The GPU is running normally at 100% of course, the CPU doesn't even try, it's a beast.

Does this mean that my old i7 2600 was the perfect pair for that GPU, and no bottleneck was involved? or I should've get more performance from it?

thanks

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello all..
I made an upgrade from i7 2600 to ryzen 7 5800x, and everything is running smoothly.
Unfortunately I did not buy a new graphic card, my gtx 970 will be ok for several months.

I was hoping that after the upgrade I would have a least 10-15% more FPS on the games I play (AC Valhalla, Borderlands 3, Witcher 3, FarCry 5...)
but it seems that the low-fps are better, no screen tearing (I used to have sometimes, even with Vsync ON), maybe I get few fps but not something significant.
With this graphic card I try to be around 45-60 fps, with medium details I usually can.

The GPU is running normally at 100% of course, the CPU doesn't even try, it's a beast.

Does this mean that my old i7 2600 was the perfect pair for that GPU, and no bottleneck was involved? or I should've get more performance from it?

thanks
If your video card is maxed out then not really going to change unless you lower the in game settings.

Reactions: drewthebrave

drewthebrave

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
If your video card is maxed out then not really going to change unless you lower the in game settings.

This. The 2600X is still very capable. Your GPU is holding your performance back. The CPU is generally the last thing I look to upgrade in a system - I was still running an 8 year old i7 4930k until this December, and only upgraded after I managed to get a 3060Ti (from my dual GTX 780s).

The good news is your 5800x will be a solid CPU for a LONG time. The bad news is you'll need a new GPU to see meaningful boost in FPS.

Hello all..

thanks
It will certainly be faster in some titles even with a GTX 970, but on the big triple A's you've mentioned it's really at it's limit and you need a new GPU. It's not all about FPS either, the more modern and more multithreaded games will run smoother on newer hardware like the 5800X. I would still expect something like Ghost Recon Wildlands to feel more fluid on a 5800X even with your GPU than a i7 2600. You'll probably find the same on Battlefield 5 as well.

Jan 14, 2022
This. The 2600X is still very capable. Your GPU is holding your performance back. The CPU is generally the last thing I look to upgrade in a system - I was still running an 8 year old i7 4930k until this December, and only upgraded after I managed to get a 3060Ti (from my dual GTX 780s).

The good news is your 5800x will be a solid CPU for a LONG time. The bad news is you'll need a new GPU to see meaningful boost in FPS.

So that's it, they were a perfect match. Maybe a generation or two of GPU could work without bottleneck, maybe. The prices are crazy, 670 € (760 $) for the cheapest 6600XT, will need to wait a little while.

Jan 14, 2022
It will certainly be faster in some titles even with a GTX 970, but on the big triple A's you've mentioned it's really at it's limit and you need a new GPU. It's not all about FPS either, the more modern and more multithreaded games will run smoother on newer hardware like the 5800X. I would still expect something like Ghost Recon Wildlands to feel more fluid on a 5800X even with your GPU than a i7 2600. You'll probably find the same on Battlefield 5 as well.

I do feel that the games runs smoother and load faster, i was hoping for more fps, but it seem that my old i7 2600 was truly a good piece of hardware. I'll test a little more on some other titles, like you said on non AAA games.

I do feel that the games runs smoother and load faster, i was hoping for more fps, but it seem that my old i7 2600 was truly a good piece of hardware. I'll test a little more on some other titles, like you said on non AAA games.
Yes the i7 2600 has been a bit of a legend in it's longevity. Your 5800X isn't a wasted investment though, it is vastly better but you just need a more powerful GPU to get the most out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.