[SOLVED] New build with old HDD can I keep files/folders?

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
Hi there, so I'm currently in the waiting period for my new computer parts coming later this weekend. Everything in my build that I have currently is being replaced with new parts except for PSU and current 2tb HDD. I have a bit of a interesting setup ahead of me as I get ready to put the new build together.. I am running windows 7 home with the current HDD right now. I'm going to have a SSD 500gb and a new 2tb HDD, but I'm going to be installing windows 10 home on the SSD.

Now for the tricky part at least how my head is trying to wrap itself around the idea.. I wish to use the current HDD as extra storage for the "new build" but I want to keep some personal files/folders that I'm able to.. How would someone go about trying to get this current HDD ready the day before the new build is ready to be put together? I've never had a situation like this before where I've wanted to hold on to some personal stuff from a old drive.. seeing how windows 7 is installed on that drive, I wasn't sure if some documents, files, folders or media would be work or be linked to windows 7 still? Anyways.. I guess what I'm trying to mainly ask here is it possible to get rid of windows 7 on the current drive while also keeping certain things untouched from being wiped off the drive, non usable or corrupted, etc. (I know some programs like games are most likely out of question as they are linked to the OS it was installed on? But I'm not worried about all that, just the small stuff mentioned above.)

Thank you.

Solution
Here's what I would do:

1. Install new 2TB HDD into your current system.
  2. Copy all personal data you wish saved over to new 2TB HDD.
  3. Remove new 2TB HDD from your system
  4. Install new SSD into your system.
  5. Begin install of Windows 10. When it asks where you want to install, there should be an Advanced Option. Use this to format BOTH SSD and HDD.
  6. Exit installation of Windows.
  7. Remove the old 2TB HDD from your system
  8. Restart install of Windows 10 and allow to complete.
  9. Update drivers, re-install applications.
  10. Install old and new 2TB HDDs into system.

-Wolf sends

Remeca

Reputable
Hi there, so I'm currently in the waiting period for my new computer parts coming later this weekend. Everything in my build that I have currently is being replaced with new parts except for PSU and current 2tb HDD. I have a bit of a interesting setup ahead of me as I get ready to put the new build together.. I am running windows 7 home with the current HDD right now. I'm going to have a SSD 500gb and a new 2tb HDD, but I'm going to be installing windows 10 home on the SSD.

Now for the tricky part at least how my head is trying to wrap itself around the idea.. I wish to use the current HDD as extra storage for the "new build" but I want to keep some personal files/folders that I'm able to.. How would someone go about trying to get this current HDD ready the day before the new build is ready to be put together? I've never had a situation like this before where I've wanted to hold on to some personal stuff from a old drive.. seeing how windows 7 is installed on that drive, I wasn't sure if some documents, files, folders or media would be work or be linked to windows 7 still? Anyways.. I guess what I'm trying to mainly ask here is it possible to get rid of windows 7 on the current drive while also keeping certain things untouched from being wiped off the drive, non usable or corrupted, etc. (I know some programs like games are most likely out of question as they are linked to the OS it was installed on? But I'm not worried about all that, just the small stuff mentioned above.)

Thank you.
You can keep all your files and folders, and just delete the Windows folder and associated files, like page files and hibernation images and restore points, that take up the most space. You can use a program like Wiztree to find large windows files and folders. If you want your games on the ssd, you can install steam on it, and then copy your games folder over from the hdd to the new steam folder, so you don't have to redownload everything. You can also edit the partitions in drive manager to delete any recovery partitions and then expand the drive back into that space.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Here's what I would do:

1. Install new 2TB HDD into your current system.
  2. Copy all personal data you wish saved over to new 2TB HDD.
  3. Remove new 2TB HDD from your system
  4. Install new SSD into your system.
  5. Begin install of Windows 10. When it asks where you want to install, there should be an Advanced Option. Use this to format BOTH SSD and HDD.
  6. Exit installation of Windows.
  7. Remove the old 2TB HDD from your system
  8. Restart install of Windows 10 and allow to complete.
  9. Update drivers, re-install applications.
  10. Install old and new 2TB HDDs into system.

-Wolf sends

Solution

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
Thanks for the advice you guys. I guess it totally slipped my mind to even transfer over what I can from the current HDD to the new one before doing everything with the SSD + windows 10 install.. lol. I'm still open to some other methods of doing this but I think as of right now I'll be following as you guys have mentioned. Transfer what I want over to the new HDD and follow the process.