Question New build with ryzen 5600X went down after successfully installing windows, can't boot anymore with CPU PWR1 cord connected.

Jan 10, 2021
Hello everyone,

So yday I bought some new parts because I need a new cpu and therefore a new motherboard. I also added some new M2 memory, ram. My setup now is as following:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard: MSI X570 gaming plus
  • CPU cooler: Corsair H115i
  • M2 memory: Samsung evo 970 1TB
  • 3 external fans SP120 (corsair)
  • GPU: my old GTX 970
  • Power supply: my old CooMas V850 850W ATX23 (6 years)

I installed all the parts, following the instructions for the h115i and everything. I knew that I probably need a BIOS update so before booting I flashed the BIOS with the button on the rear, when done with that I rebooted the system and the cpu led was out (which is good I assume).

Then I booted my flash drive with w10 and everything still went well, windows got installed and I could boot into the operating system. I navigated to microsoft edge to start installing some things but the moment I finished my search query my pc abruptly went down, no sign of any power anymore. When I try to reboot I still don't get any response, so no light on the MOBO and nothing else starts to spin.

After troubleshooting a lot by removing RAM, M2 memory, even using another cpu cooler etc I found something. When I remove the CPU PWR1 connection I can boot the system (with the cpu led on of course). Now when I add the connection again I can't boot anymore. I've also read that it shouldn't be needed to connect the CPU PWR2 (I don't have the cabe as well).

Does anyone have an idea on this? The strangest thing for me is that everything went wel and the system booted, even installed windows and then suddenly died.

Hello everyone,

So yday I bought some new parts because I need a new cpu and therefore a new motherboard. I also added some new M2 memory, ram. My setup now is as following:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard: MSI X570 gaming plus
  • CPU cooler: Corsair H115i
  • M2 memory: Samsung evo 970 1TB
  • 3 external fans SP120 (corsair)
  • GPU: my old GTX 970
  • Power supply: my old CooMas V850 850W ATX23 (6 years)

I installed all the parts, following the instructions for the h115i and everything. I knew that I probably need a BIOS update so before booting I flashed the BIOS with the button on the rear, when done with that I rebooted the system and the cpu led was out (which is good I assume).

Then I booted my flash drive with w10 and everything still went well, windows got installed and I could boot into the operating system. I navigated to microsoft edge to start installing some things but the moment I finished my search query my pc abruptly went down, no sign of any power anymore. When I try to reboot I still don't get any response, so no light on the MOBO and nothing else starts to spin.

After troubleshooting a lot by removing RAM, M2 memory, even using another cpu cooler etc I found something. When I remove the CPU PWR1 connection I can boot the system (with the cpu led on of course). Now when I add the connection again I can't boot anymore. I've also read that it shouldn't be needed to connect the CPU PWR2 (I don't have the cabe as well).

Does anyone have an idea on this? The strangest thing for me is that everything went wel and the system booted, even installed windows and then suddenly died.
Maybe change the power supply if it is 6 years old

Jan 10, 2021
Maybe change the power supply if it is 6 years old
I am thinking to do that but the problem is that I don't know if it will solve it. Is it possible that a system does not respond at all if the PSU does not have enough power? If I put the PSU in my old build it still works fine.

Jan 10, 2021
Buy a new one and if it doesn't solve your problem return it
Oké I can do that, I am just thinking, wouldn't the pc try to turn on in the case that the PSU is too weak? When I try to boot now nothing happens at all. And if I remove the CPU PWR1 cable, the MOBO gets power and everything starts spinning.