New Build With Windows

Prazzic

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Hello! I've recently customized a PC online. I have everything configured on PCPartPicker and I'm ready to order the parts. One thing that I am confused with is the windows 10 installation for the build. I have a current gaming PC and I'm going to upgrade everything on it. I have windows 10 installed on a harddrive for my current PC but couldn't I just hook up my current hard drive to my new build and have everything work just fine? I heard that windows attaches to your hardware (motherboard) since I am upgrading that and everything else, How do I go about hooking up my current hard drive to my new build? Thanks in advance! :)

Oh, One more question I have, Are power supply power cables universal? I have the cable that hooks directly into the wall that gives my comptuer power but I'm not sure if I can just buy a longer one on amazon. If so, which cable should I buy?

Solution
You can not just move your HD over. That copy of windows is a license for your old computer not your new one. Also unless the new one is very similar to your old one the old build will just crash on the new hardware.

You will need to get a new license for Windows and re-install everything.

PC Power cables are sort of universal. They vary from country to country but are otherwise compatible.
You can not just move your HD over. That copy of windows is a license for your old computer not your new one. Also unless the new one is very similar to your old one the old build will just crash on the new hardware.

You will need to get a new license for Windows and re-install everything.

PC Power cables are sort of universal. They vary from country to country but are otherwise compatible.

Solution

Unkk

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
Per Microsoft's]http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-transfer-windows-retail-license-after/6ee1dfe0-8adc-4cce-a46a-748963cf56d1?auth=1]Microsoft's website[/url]

1.You have a computer with a full retail copy (not pre-installed and not upgraded) version of Windows 7 or 8.1.

2.You upgrade it to Windows 10.

So, if you want to take that to a new computer, you would:

3.Remove the OS from the original computer. This would mean removing Windows 10, but you can't put Windows 7 or 8.1 back on it, because that's the license you want to transfer.

4.Install Windows 7/8.1 (the full qualifying version) onto your brand new computer. Activate it. You might need to call the hotline to activate, and explain to the agent that you are installing it on a new computer now and that the old computer no longer has it installed.

5.Upgrade it to Windows 10. Note that upgrades from previously-qualifying versions are only free until July 29, 2016. After that date, you'll need to buy an upgrade. Note that if you complete steps 4/5 in these instructions before that date, you can install forever for free onto the same computer but your ability to transfer and install again for free would be lost after that date.