New build with Z370-E—Windows does not boot automatically—MOBO doesn't seem to follow boot order

Apr 13, 2018
Hello, I'm a first time builder and I'm having some trouble booting straight to Windows without first needing to go into the BIOS and double-clicking the system drive. Once I do that, Windows boots and all is great. Here's my setup

My system drive is an 850 EVO. I've updated the BIOS, toggled Fast Boot, and tried a couple fresh installs of Windows, both in UEFI mode and in Legacy. I've done a successful Chkdsk on the system drive. But I also can't seem to boot automatically into anything I set as priority—whether it's the Windows-loaded USB or my USB with Memtest. There are other drives installed, but the system drive is the only one showing in the boot list.

On every reboot, I land on a black American Megatrends screen with a prompt to enter Setup.

I'm sorry to ask a question that is flavored like millions of other questions out there, but I haven't been able to resolve this with what I've found online. I would appreciate of any advice or words of wisdom—hoping it's something simple and my ignorance is showing. Thank you!

Is the system retaining an accurate date/time setting each time you ore forced to enter the setup after every reboot?

(Normally indicative of BIOS battery issues, although that would seem odd for a new build)

YOu are properly exiting the BIOS, selecting 'save changes' option?

Apr 13, 2018
Thanks for your response! The motherboard does remember the date and time, and any settings, and I've used the 'save and exit' command to exit each time. If memory serves, there was one time when it asked to confirm the date and time on reboot but I think that was after I reset to default settings, after wondering if the XMP profile setting could somehow play a role in the problem.