New Build with Z390 and I7 9700k Won't post

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
Hi Guys,
I just bought a new build to update my 5 years cpu and mobo.
I Bought the Aorus Z390 pro rev1 with an I7 9700k and a new Gskill trident Z RGB DDR4 ram 32GB. I am using and Evo212 with arcsilver thermal paste

The computer wont post. and the Dram led is red with cpu led flashing every now and then. The computer keeps rebooting without showing an image and not posting.

I tried with one Ram kit and tried all slots at a time.
PSU is working, its a EVGA supernova 3 750W. Video card is also working, and i even tried with the motherboard onboard HDMI.

What could be the problem?

Solution
First update the Bios and try a single module in the first slot. Don't figure it's not the RAM yet.
Switch them around and list the RAM kits and Part Numbers you have. Got to try your best to get that DRAM led to go out (they are accurate) other wise it may be a problem with the MB.
There's more chance it's RAM than the CPU unless the CPU_LED is lit or you have bent pins in the MB socket.

The i7-9700K officially supports DDR4- 2666MHz and how well each sample scales is up to the IMC (Integrated Memory controller) on the chip.
If the DRAM_LED is lit then you have an issue with RAM and Post will not advance till rectified.
Best is to try one module in the first slot and switch modules into different slots. If still no go then try a different kit that the MB supports and are listed on the MB QVL.
What frequency are your DIMMs and is it a single kit of 32GB.?

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018
It's G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
I tried one stick at a time in different slot nothing.
Maybe the Aorus Z930 Rev 1.0 needs a bios update before it recofgnizes the cpu or the ram?

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018

Its 24000 gskill. I figured its not the ram now as i just tried another set. This time a transcend 16gb ddr4. Same result.

Also tried a different psu with same result. The dram light is on.

How accurate are error leds?

What are the chances of the cpu i7 9700k been doa?

Im hoping its just yhe mobo that is doa. At this point as rma will take forever and i can just pirchase another mobo used while waiting for the rma.

What do you guys think?

First update the Bios and try a single module in the first slot. Don't figure it's not the RAM yet.
Switch them around and list the RAM kits and Part Numbers you have. Got to try your best to get that DRAM led to go out (they are accurate) other wise it may be a problem with the MB.
There's more chance it's RAM than the CPU unless the CPU_LED is lit or you have bent pins in the MB socket.

The i7-9700K officially supports DDR4- 2666MHz and how well each sample scales is up to the IMC (Integrated Memory controller) on the chip.

Solution

nabilelmjati

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018

Yep it was bent pins. I tried unbending them and so far the comouter has posted and turned in. The onboard hdmi was not working, opened it again and found 1 more bent pin. Unbent it and it now worked. I will stress test it tonight and hopefully i successfuly unbent all of them.

Drfinitely poor qa from gigabyte.

Thank you guys.

freebirth001

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Yep it was bent pins. I tried unbending them and so far the comouter has posted and turned in. The onboard hdmi was not working, opened it again and found 1 more bent pin. Unbent it and it now worked. I will stress test it tonight and hopefully i successfuly unbent all of them.

Drfinitely poor qa from gigabyte.

Thank you guys.

Im having the same problem with the same motherbpard and ram. The ram is on tbe qualified vendors list and it wont post

I dont see any bent pins anywhere on the motherboard. What pins are you refering to that where bent?

The bent pins referred to in this thread are the Pins in the MB CPU socket housing. This poorly designed method IMO as aposed to the Positive insertion socket adopted by AMD is a common problem with newbie buillders. The only thing you can do is carfully inspect the socket with a magnifier and if bent pins are found you can carfully bend them back with a toothpick. Should any pins break then the MB is toast. Also your Warranty is void as it is assumed user error.
If your pins are OK then start a new thread, list your system specs and the Part No of your RAM kit. Explain fully your particular issue

Feb 19, 2019
It's not a "newbie builder" problem - it is only Gigabyte problem. It is really appropriate that there is a bent pin on the socket image in the official Aorus Pro z390 Manual pdf file (can't insert image, see page 11 of that file)!!!!
I have never checked socket pins in the store and it is the first time when I bought brand new broken motherboard for ~200$.

It's not a "newbie builder" problem - it is only Gigabyte problem. It is really appropriate that there is a bent pin on the socket image in the official Aorus Pro z390 Manual pdf file (can't insert image, see page 11 of that file)!!!!
I have never checked socket pins in the store and it is the first time when I bought brand new broken motherboard for ~200$.

I find it amazing you feel it's a Gigabyte fault looking at an image in the MB manual. The manual merely states the method of correct CPU installation.
Always best when purchasing a MB that the cellophane box wrapping is not broken as some unscrupulous vendors use and test MBs then sell them on.

If your one of those and you discover bent pins, Both the vendor (first point of call) and the manufacturer determine it to be user error and void your Warranty.
When I purchase an Intel MB, I always check the CPU socket for bent pins (prior to leaving the store). Not an issue with AMD.

Feb 19, 2019
I find it amazing you feel it's a Gigabyte fault looking at an image in the MB manual. The manual merely states the method of correct CPU installation.
Always best when purchasing a MB that the cellophane box wrapping is not broken as some unscrupulous vendors use and test MBs then sell them on.

If your one of those and you discover bent pins, Both the vendor (first point of call) and the manufacturer determine it to be user error and void your Warranty.
When I purchase an Intel MB, I always check the CPU socket for bent pins (prior to leaving the store). Not an issue with AMD.

I find it amazing that completely sealed MB had a 180 deg. bent pin - I only can explain it with poor factory quality check. Of course, I haven't even tried to refund, I've just spent another 40$ for pin replacement.

Please, note, that I don't complain like "Gigabyte, give me my money back!", I just post it for folks who decide which MB they should buy (no luck, guys - everything is made on Foxconn factories:LOL:).

When I purchase an Intel MB, I always check the CPU socket for bent pins
So why you doesn't also check MB soldering quality? I tell you - quality checking is not your job. There is another person who gets paid for it and that money are already inside the price of your device.