Question New build won’t boot, constant orange DRAM light

Dec 19, 2022
Hi,
Recently I built a new pc and when I switch it on the DRAM light stays constantly orange.

I’ve tried different solutions: Replacing/rearranging RAM sticks, Replacing the motherboard, Updating the BIOS, Resetting/replacing the CMOS battery and nothing has worked

Specs:
ROG ASUS Z790-f gaming wifi 6E
Intel i9-13900KF
GSkill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB 7200MHz
GTX 1080
Corsair ax1600i

I would appreciate any information this is driving me insane!

If you've tried different motherboards and different memory modules, and theproblem is the same, then it becomes a lot more likely that it's a CPU problem even though CPU failures are pretty rare. Possibly incorrect installation/not lined up with orientation markings. Bent pin on board. EPS/CPU power connectors not plugged into motherboard in addition to 24 pin ATX.

This is EXACTLY why choosing models like the KF are a poor decision that rarely brings any value in terms of savings because you completely lose the ability to switch to the integrated graphics if there is any question at all whether the graphics card might be to blame. And yes, it's totally not uncommon for problems with one component to cause debug light for something else to come on. It's not USUALLY how it works, but it can, in some cases.

I think I'd start by pulling that GTX 1080 out and then power on and see if it still sticks at the same place. Or, is it instantly going to DRAM light as soon as you power on?

Reactions: Bheather
Dec 19, 2022
If you've tried different motherboards and different memory modules, and theproblem is the same, then it becomes a lot more likely that it's a CPU problem even though CPU failures are pretty rare. Possibly incorrect installation/not lined up with orientation markings. Bent pin on board. EPS/CPU power connectors not plugged into motherboard in addition to 24 pin ATX.

This is EXACTLY why choosing models like the KF are a poor decision that rarely brings any value in terms of savings because you completely lose the ability to switch to the integrated graphics if there is any question at all whether the graphics card might be to blame. And yes, it's totally not uncommon for problems with one component to cause debug light for something else to come on. It's not USUALLY how it works, but it can, in some cases.

I think I'd start by pulling that GTX 1080 out and then power on and see if it still sticks at the same place. Or, is it instantly going to DRAM light as soon as you power on?
Thanks for getting back,
When I remove the GPU or other components one by one, the CPU light shows briefly then the DRAM light remains on. I also tried switching which sockets the PSU wires are plugged into - i’m sure the wires are okay because I have used this PSU before.
I have ordered a replacement CPU so hopefully that will work.

Pay close attention to the alignment markings on the motherboard/socket and the corner of the CPU to make sure you are installing it in the correct orientation. And check the motherboard very closely for any bent pins. Even one pin only slightly bent can cause a variety of problems.

Reactions: Bheather
Nice man. Glad it worked out. Had a feeling from the start that's what it was but when it comes to CPUs you usually want to rule everything else out first because, again, they don't usually "go bad" or come bad. Usually CPU failures are due to user error but there are absolutely exceptions to the rule.

andrew3d

Prominent
Oct 25, 2021
I have a question. When something like the CPU is found to be the problem, especially since you just purchased it recently, did Intel give you a new one under warranty? I suppose you had to send it to Intel for testing? Can you share what steps you had to take? The reason I am asking is I am having a similar problem which could be the CPU. Thank you.

You would have to send it in to Intel, usually on your dime, and they will test it. If it is found to be faulty through no fault of yours (Such as obvious user error or intentional damage) then they will generally replace it if it is within the warranty period and ship it back to your on their dime. If they find nothing wrong, you sometimes have to pay to have it shipped back to you.

Reactions: andrew3d