Question New Build Won’t Boot Past Bios

Nov 22, 2019
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I’ll start from the beginning. I was an idiot and flashed the BIOS on my ASUS z170. It bricked. Learned my lesson.

Bought an MSI MPG Z390. At this point I had the new MSI, i7-6700k, 16 (2x8)gb Vengeance, 980ti. It wouldn’t even get past POST.

Bought new RAM, 2x8 Vengeance and a new iCue Corsair Case. Still wouldn’t get past POST.

Returned the MSI and got a new one same model, bought an i9-9900k and a new 750w Corsair PSU, and a new Corsair heatsink and finally got past POST and into BIOS.

So, the entire build is new. I try to boot to USB installation media and every time it gets to that first blue screen, it shuts off and resets in an endless loop. The bios displays the CPU and RAM properly with no overheating.

This is what I’ve done so far:

-Tried RAM in every slot.
-Built Mobo outside of case
-disconnected anything not necessary for OS install
-redownloaded the installation media several times
-checked all connections thoroughly
-banged my head on wall

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 22, 2019
Well your first issue was the z390 and 6700 were incompatible. Now all your components should be good.

So now you are trying to install windows correct? Is it reading the usb at all?
Correct, just trying to install Windows. The BIOS list the usb and blank SSD as it should. When trying to boot from the USB, it makes it to the initial blue screen with the first prompts for installing Windows. Then shuts off.

Nov 22, 2019
Problem solved. I think my monitor was too much for the integrated graphics? Not sure. I plugged in my GPU and it worked. Embarrassing, but posting in case some other amateur-hour extraordinaire is having the same problem.

Nov 22, 2019
You’re using a 212 EVO on a 9900k? I’d get a new cooler.
Are both the cpu power cables hooked up, 4 and 8 pin?

lol, I know. It’s blasphemy to the PC gods. But booting to the windows desktop is like barely lifting a finger for the 9900k. And yeah, all of my connections are good.

pretty sure you don’t. My PSU doesn’t have that 4 pin. An 8 pin will power a CPU just fine for normal gaming from everything I’m reading.
Well computers only randomly restart if there is a 1.heat problem 2.power problem or 3.software problem. Heat isn’t a factor, software just installed, leaves power. There’s a cable that didn’t get connected to the motherboard, that can’t be it right?

Guess all that reading you did, you missed your motherboard manual, page 34. IMPORTANT Make sure that ALL the power cables are securely connected to a proper ATX power supply to ensure STABLE operation of the motherboard.

Nobody that has stated it’s ok to use only the 8 pin is a motherboard engineer. They didn’t design these boards or do they know how they are electronically engineered. They simply are guessing that if you can use a motherboard with an 8 pin only then that is sufficient power. It would be sufficient power for that board yes, but each board is different and they put two power connectors there to BOTH be used.

Either way, you are free to do as you wish.

Nov 22, 2019
Well computers only randomly restart if there is a 1.heat problem 2.power problem or 3.software problem. Heat isn’t a factor, software just installed, leaves power. There’s a cable that didn’t get connected to the motherboard, that can’t be it right?

Guess all that reading you did, you missed your motherboard manual, page 34. IMPORTANT Make sure that ALL the power cables are securely connected to a proper ATX power supply to ensure STABLE operation of the motherboard.

Nobody that has stated it’s ok to use only the 8 pin is a motherboard engineer. They didn’t design these boards or do they know how they are electronically engineered. They simply are guessing that if you can use a motherboard with an 8 pin only then that is sufficient power. It would be sufficient power for that board yes, but each board is different and they put two power connectors there to BOTH be used.

Either way, you are free to do as you wish.
Thanks for the help. It wasn’t power. I got it to stay alive long enough to install the chipset driver from an optical drive. I’m gonna update the PSU and cooler though. I appreciate the help. I think I finally got it going