Question New Build won’t post, debug VGA light on.

frogs114

Honorable
Nov 25, 2015
Hey guys. I have a gaming pro carbon (x470), rtx 2070 gaming z, and a ryzen 3700x.
I upgraded my older computer with new cpu ram and mobo. I flashed a new bios to the motherboard with an atheon 200GE processor.
there was no problem flashing the new bios

I have installed all of my components and now the computer won’t post - all the lights turn on (graphics card too) but I get a red VGA error light on the ez debug section of the motherboard. The mobo restarts several times (I assume it’s trying to get it to post)

I’ve tried booting with one stick of ram, triple checked all the connections, re plugged it in, but I can’t figure out what’s wrong. All the components were working before I started the build

My only guess is that somehow the mobo does not recognize the graphics card. I’m wondering if I need to try to launch windows and download some drivers for it.
Thanks all,
A

frogs114

Honorable
Nov 25, 2015
What power supply (make and model number) do you have and do you have all the necessary PCI-E power cables connected to the graphics card?

-Wolf sends
I have an EVGA Supernova 550W G2 - all cords are oem and both 4pin and 3pin are connected to the graphics card and seated correctly.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Please confirm this is your card.
And I'm going to assume you meant that both 6-pin and 8-pin PCI-E power cables are connected to the graphics card.

Please confirm this is your power supply.
If so, it states it comes with two 8-pin (6+2) and one 6-pin PCI-E power cables.
Are you using both 6+2pin cables from the power supply or just one 6+2pin and the one 6pin? If you still have the spare cable, try swapping each cable out with the spare.

-Wolf sends

frogs114

Honorable
Nov 25, 2015
Yes sorry, I meant 6 pin. I was thinking four across and 3 across. I will look for another cord, not sure if I have it. But the cord was working yesterday before I ugraded the build.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The RTX2070 is currently installed in the top PCI-Ex16 slot (as it should be)? If so, I'd try moving it to the secondary PCI-Ex16 slot. It should still work alone in that slot (just testing the card here). I'd also recommend installing the card in another (friend's) computer to test the card out.

Failing that, if you still have the Athlon 200GE CPU, re-install that and test the system without the card installed. If you get it to boot, reinstall the card and test with the RTX 2070 installed. If THAT work, then it may be an issue with your processor. If that doesn't work, then it may be an issue with either the motherboard's PCI-Ex16 slot or the power supply. In this case, test with a lower end (low power draw) graphics card. to see if you can get the system to boot.

-Wolf sends

frogs114

Honorable
Nov 25, 2015
The RTX2070 is currently installed in the top PCI-Ex16 slot (as it should be)? If so, I'd try moving it to the secondary PCI-Ex16 slot. It should still work alone in that slot (just testing the card here). I'd also recommend installing the card in another (friend's) computer to test the card out.

Failing that, if you still have the Athlon 200GE CPU, re-install that and test the system without the card installed. If you get it to boot, reinstall the card and test with the RTX 2070 installed. If THAT work, then it may be an issue with your processor. If that doesn't work, then it may be an issue with either the motherboard's PCI-Ex16 slot or the power supply. In this case, test with a lower end (low power draw) graphics card. to see if you can get the system to boot.

-Wolf sends
Ill try that. I have no other graphics card to test. Ill respond in a few minutes with an update

frogs114

Honorable
Nov 25, 2015
so upda

-Wolf sends

-Wolf sends
So update: I reinstalled the old CPU - no boot. With old graphics card - no boot. The VGA light stays on in all cases.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're not getting a boot with the Athlon 200GE and no graphics card installed, either the motherboard has failed or the power supply has failed. See if you can test that configuration (200GE/no graphics card) with a different power supply. If you still cannot get it to boot with a different power supply, then it's likely the motherboard is faulty. If you can get it to boot with a different power supply, then the old power supply is faulty and you will need a new one.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: frogs114

frogs114

Honorable
Nov 25, 2015
If you're not getting a boot with the Athlon 200GE and no graphics card installed, either the motherboard has failed or the power supply has failed. See if you can test that configuration (200GE/no graphics card) with a different power supply. If you still cannot get it to boot with a different power supply, then it's likely the motherboard is faulty. If you can get it to boot with a different power supply, then the old power supply is faulty and you will need a new one.

-Wolf sends
I Think ill call MSI support and see what they have to say...maybe they have a magic fix - then ill take it to best buy and see if their power supply works (its free and I dont have one extra). Thanks for your help!