[SOLVED] New build won’t post. What could be the problem?

Sep 19, 2021
Hi

I recently bought a new motherboard (ASUS B450F), CPU (Ryzen 5 1600 AF) , and RAM (2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz) from Amazon to upgrade from my old setup. It all arrived today and I put it all together, but after finishing, it will not post (no sign of life on monitor). An indicator Q-LED on the motherboard lights up yellow, suggesting that there is a problem with the RAM. I have watched many troubleshooting videos and ready many guides for a while now looking for solutions. I have made sure the RAM is properly installed, tested each stick one at a time through all DIMM slots, tried different configurations, cleaned both ram sticks and all DIMM slots with isopropyl alcohol. I have tried clearing the CMOS, through both the short-circuit pin and removing the onboard button cell battery but still have had no luck.

Everything is new from Amazon, except my motherboard which I bought used from Amazon warehouse for 30 dollars cheaper. I am hoping none of the components are defective and can understand why my PC will not post. If you have any more insight as to why my computer won’t post, the help would be greatly appreciated.

My PC specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF
Motherboard: ASUS B450 F
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA 600W

Solution
I just checked the barcode sticker on the motherboard. It says it’s shipped with BIOS version 4007. How would I go about updating my BIOS for the Ryzen 5 1600 AF?
Ryzen 5 1600 AF is supported since BIOS version 3004, so that should not be the issue. Unless the box does not correspond to that motherboard.

To update the BIOS, you need to be able to get it to POST and get into the UEFI BIOS.
-Download the latest BIOS file corresponding to your motherboard model from ASUS Download Center and save it in the USB flash drive.
-After booting, when show ASUS LOGO, press the keyboard DEL key.
-When show the BIOS screen , press F7 or click Advance Mode with the mouse to enter the advanced mode.
-Click the Tools page with the mouse, and...
Sep 19, 2021
Assuming the CPU was install properly, and it does not have bent pins.
It could be the used motherboard, from Amazon warehouse, is faulty.
Return it and get another one.
That’s what I was thinking. The CPU is completely new and I’ve handled/installed it carefully and correctly, so no possibility of bent pins. I ordered a replacement board free of charge just in case. I want have a ready computer ASAP, but I would like to try my absolute best to get this board working.

Sep 19, 2021
Bios release date: 2020/12/09
Shouldn't it already support 1600AF? Since that was released years ago.
Reseat RAM, slots 2 and 4 or A2/B2, check motherboard manual if unsure.
I have made sure to properly seat the RAM and that it’s installed correctly. Both 8GB RAM sticks are placed in slots A2/B2, but the yellow light remains and the computer won’t boot. I’m not sure what else to do?

Here is a picture of what I’m seeing: https://ibb.co/8N6Byf0

I just checked the barcode sticker on the motherboard. It says it’s shipped with BIOS version 4007. How would I go about updating my BIOS for the Ryzen 5 1600 AF?
Ryzen 5 1600 AF is supported since BIOS version 3004, so that should not be the issue. Unless the box does not correspond to that motherboard.

To update the BIOS, you need to be able to get it to POST and get into the UEFI BIOS.
-Download the latest BIOS file corresponding to your motherboard model from ASUS Download Center and save it in the USB flash drive.
-When show the BIOS screen , press F7 or click Advance Mode with the mouse to enter the advanced mode.
-Click the Tools page with the mouse, and then click ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utilities.
-Click the disk the USB flash drive where is stored in the BIOS file, and click the BIOS file that you want to update.

Solution
Sep 19, 2021

-Click the Tools page with the mouse, and then click ASUS EZ Flash 3 Utilities.
-Click the disk the USB flash drive where is stored in the BIOS file, and click the BIOS file that you want to update.
The computer won’t post. That is the main issue. I’ve tried many different options to post. This motherboard has the ability to flash the BIOS directly onto the board so I followed some video guides and attempted to update the BIOS that way. I downloaded the latest BIOS version 4607 on another computer and put it on a flash drive to hopefully flash and update the BIOS, but after completion, still no life on the monitor. Still no post. What could possibly be the issue here?

The computer won’t post. That is the main issue. I’ve tried many different options to post. This motherboard has the ability to flash the BIOS directly onto the board so I followed some video guides and attempted to update the BIOS that way. I downloaded the latest BIOS version 4607 on another computer and put it on a flash drive to hopefully flash and update the BIOS, but after completion, still no life on the monitor. Still no post. What could possibly be the issue here?
Did you renamed the BIOS files using ASUS BIOSRenamer?
Did the Bios Flashback process went OK?
Did you see the Flashback LED flashing slow, then flashing faster then off?
What the exact motherboard model?

Sep 19, 2021
Did you renamed the BIOS files using ASUS BIOSRenamer?
Did the Bios Flashback process went OK?
Did you see the Flashback LED flashing slow, then flashing faster then off?
What the exact motherboard model?
Yes, I used the ASUS BIOSRenamer and place the renamed file onto a properly formatted USB drive. I inserted the USB into the computer in the BIOS flashback slot and held the BIOS flash button on the motherboard. The green LED starting flashing and eventually got quicker and quicker until it stopped. I then turned on the computer to see if it would post, but it did not. My motherboard is the ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II.

The motherboard appears to be working.
Power off PSU and unplug power cord from it.
Remove the CMOS battery and wait at least 5 minutes.
Just leave the CPU, GPU , and one RAM module in slot A2 (2nd slot from CPU) .
Disconnect anything else plugged to the motherboard...including drives, keyboard, mouse and front IO cables.
Place the CMOS battery back.
Plug power cord to PSU and power it on.
Short the two power pins with a flat head screwdriver.

Does the RAM LED stays lit?

Sep 19, 2021
The motherboard appears to be working.
Power off PSU and unplug power cord from it.
Remove the CMOS battery and wait at least 5 minutes.
Just leave the CPU, GPU , and one RAM module in slot A2 (2nd slot from CPU) .
Disconnect anything else plugged to the motherboard...including drives, keyboard, mouse and front IO cables.
Place the CMOS battery back.
Plug power cord to PSU and power it on.
Short the two power pins with a flat head screwdriver.

Does the RAM LED stays lit?
Yes, I did everything you instructed. I removed the CMOS battery, unplugged everything from the motherboard except for the GPU and CPU fan. I waited 6-7 minutes and put the cmos battery back in. I plugged in the PSU and turned it on and used a small flathead screwdriver to short the two CMOS pins. I plugged the power switch back on to turn on the PC, but the computer still didn’t post and the yellow RAM Q-LED light still remains lit. Did I do something wrong?

Sep 19, 2021
Did you try both RAM modules on each of the RAM slots.
When the RAM LED stays lit is either a RAM module or the RAM slot.
But if there are bent pins on the CPU, that correspond to the memory controller, it could also cause the LED to stay lit.
Yes, I have tried both RAM modules in all 4 DIMM slots, testing each module one at a time in each slot as well as trying both in different RAM configurations. I am certain that the CPU has no bent pins as I checked it, it is completely new, and handled it with the upmost care when inserting it into the motherboard.

Sep 19, 2021
It is close to impossible to received both faulty RAM modules.
So, it must be the motherboard.

Is the motherboard already installed in the PC case?

If you haven't, try testing it outside the case.
Just received a second replacement board. Same exact board and model, but still the same issue. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I’ll keep running more tests in and outside the board.