Question New build won’t post

Apr 28, 2019
Just built a new rig yesterday and I’m having issues with getting the board to post.

I will run through things I have tried.
  • Re-seated all cables from PSU
  • Tested known good PSU
  • Removed ram/placed in different slots
  • Pulled mobo out of case only leaving CPU power and main motherboard power connector connected, ram stick in and CPU mounted. (Also tried this without the ram stick)
I don’t see the board post (via monitor) or hear any beeps indicating errors during post.

I will only run through relevant build information that pertains to achieve a post.

• Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard
  • Thermaltake 550W PSU (know good)
  • Crucial DDR4 16GB single stick of ram
  • AMD Rayzen 5 2600 CPU
My only guess is that the CPU or mobo is faulty though I’m not certain which. Maybe I overlooked something?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

And oh yeah, a couple other things:

My Gigabyte board was terrible about 'soft bricking'. The only fix was to pull CMOS battery with power completely removed and short CMOS reset pins and leave it a few hours. You might try that.

And a comment: I should think you'd get more response at startup even without a CPU, so if you don't get fans to spin or lights to light take out the CPU.

Reactions: NickyTwoTones
Apr 28, 2019

My Gigabyte board was terrible about 'soft bricking'. The only fix was to pull CMOS battery with power completely removed and short CMOS reset pins and leave it a few hours. You might try that.

And a comment: I should think you'd get more response at startup even without a CPU, so if you don't get fans to spin or lights to light take out the CPU.

I will give that a go. I will try it in a bit and post my results.

Apr 28, 2019
Does the PSU power up, fans spin or do any LED's light up?

Also, you may have thought of this but just in case: you won't hear any 'beeps' unless you've connected a speaker which probably was not included with that motherboard kit.

PSU spins up and I pulled it out of a known working build. CPU fan spins up too and there are a number of LED lights on the mobo that indicate power is making it from the PSU to mobo. I did connect my speakers to the audio out and turn the volume all the way up and never heard anything.

Apr 28, 2019

I pulled the CMOS battery out and reset the BIOS with a jumper I had laying around. So yes the BIOS was bricked. Thanks for the suggestion!

PSU spins up and I pulled it out of a known working build. CPU fan spins up too and there are a number of LED lights on the mobo that indicate power is making it from the PSU to mobo. I did connect my speakers to the audio out and turn the volume all the way up and never heard anything.

That sounds like the HD Audio speaker output which is a different speaker. You have to connect a speaker like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SoundOrigina...=post+speaker&qid=1556470205&s=gateway&sr=8-3

to the internal speaker terminal to hear BIOS POST codes. These speaker terminals are usually in with the other front panel terminals, the one where you connect the front panel power switch, reset switch, LED power indicator and LED HDD activity indicator. Check your manual for which two they are.