Sep 23, 2019
Hello, I’ve got a new build I’m a bit stumped on.

Parts:
*Asus Rog Maximus XI
*Intel i9 9900
*G Skill 3200 8gb x2
Corsair cooler hi115
EVGA 750w gold PSU
Toshiba SATA 3T
Corsair Hydro Hi115
*Nvidia GTX 1060
(* indicates the part is brand new)

The system turns on, all leds light up and the fans all spin. No visual feed back. It turns on for 2-3 seconds then restarts immediately. This repeats until the machine is turned off manually.

I’ve tried:
-Checking all the connections several times. They’re all secure and tight.

-Disconnecting the gpu = same problem it runs for 2-3 seconds and restarts.

-Using only one stick of ram = same problem it runs for 2-3 seconds and restarts.

-Switching the stick of ram for the other stick = same problem...

- Removed all non essential hardware, trying with just the PSU, PCU, motherboard, and one stick of ram. Same problem.

- I’ve tried removing all RAM. The system doesn’t restart every 2-3 seconds! It just runs until it’s manualy turned off. Which I think is a good thing?

- I even pulled it all apart and reassemblemed incase I missed something the first time.

I don’t have an internal speaker (I ordered one off amazon today) but I don’t think it’ll give me answers if it restarts so quickly?

I’m leaning towards the RAM being bad or the PSU..? The PSU worked fine literal hours before I pulled the old system apart. But it is about a year old.

Ideas, thoughts, or comments are very welcome.

Sep 23, 2019
Okay, I updated the Bios with the .cap file from the Asus support, and followed the mobo manual for how to do it. Waited till everything stopped flashing and removed the USB...

I’ve got a new problem now, the system turns on but still doesn’t post. It stopped restarting every 2-3 seconds, atleast. But the Motherboard LED says ‘18’ on it. Still no graphic output.

Sep 23, 2019
Tried again with removing non essential parts, and running with just one stick of ram, fan, and cpu, and mobo. Nothing. Still stuck on q-code 18.

1. Do you guys think clearing cmos would help?

2. I also read online that brass standoffs are a thing in newer cases? I’m using a Corsair Graphite Series 760T case and its about 4 years I’ve had it and it ran the last build fine... but the standoffs and screws don’t look brass? Would that keep a newer mobo from posting?

Sep 23, 2019
Hey, so I’ve got a new build and I’m looking for some help. These I9 9900k, G Skill 3200 ddr4 and the Mamimus XI Hero are all new parts.

Two days ago placed together the build, and it kept restarting every 2-3 seconds. I tried reseating everything, checked connections, moved the ram around, tried starting it with just the essentials plugged in.

Someone recommended I flash the Bios because the mobo might not support my i9 9900k so I updated it according to the manual and the ASUS support website. Didn’t help, but the problem did change;

Now when I start? The machine restarts twice for 2sec intervals then stops on Q Code 18. The on-board LED’s flash red (CPU) then yellow (dram) but does not continue in sequence to white (vga) or green (boot).

I’ve rechecked the RAM seating several times, and switched out both sticks every slot. I’ve tried resetting CMOS and swapped out the battery. I’ve tried the retry button beside the Mem II switch. (I did not touch the Mem II switch) The Mem_LED does not light up.

Here are my parts;
Asus Rog Maximus XI
Intel i9 9900
G Skill 3200 8gb x2
Corsair cooler hi115
EVGA 750w gold PSU
Toshiba SATA 3T
Corsair Hydro Hi115
Nvidia GTX 1060