[SOLVED] New build won’t start ?

Aug 16, 2021
Hey there,

I’m very new to building computers, I’ve really only replaced parts here and there as needed, and decided to start fresh. However, no matter what I try (and I’ve followed several troubleshooting guides) it will not power on. No LED from the mobo, no fans spinning, nothing.

Case: Phanteks 400a_d

Mobo: MSI MPG Z490 gaming edge wifi

Cpu: i5-10400f

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 LED

RAM: 4x8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB pro
3200MHz

GPU: ASUS Dual GTX 1070 8GB

PSU: Corsair RM850x (I’m aware of the switch)

The new parts are the case, the Mobo, the cpu, heat sink, and the ram. I relocated the GPU and PSU from a computer that was working fine a few hours ago, and neither sustained any damage so I don’t think they’re the issue.

I followed my case’s instructions for installing the Mobo and where to put the screws. I’ve tried loosening them, as well as slightly loosening the heat sink screws to make sure I didn’t over tighten them and causing a short.

My case came with one standoff, which the instructions never made mention of using. I also only learnt today what a standoff is lol.

I have reseated the 8 and 24 pins to no avail, same with RAM. My PSU is modular but it feels like everything is as snug as it can get.

I have also tried the case button headers in multiple configurations in case I had the +\- mixed up. Also rerouted the couple cables coming from underneath to make sure there was no short from them.

At a total loss here folks, any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Note: Before making an account and posting, I did also run through the checklist in the sticky’d post. I’ve tried/checked everything on that list that applies to my situation, aside from building it outside of the case. I’m sure I just made some stupid mistake somewhere, I’m just not sure where.

Last edited:
Solution
If there are zero lights lit on your motherboard, and your 100% sure the switch on the back of your PSU is in the 'On' position, then it's likely the problem is either with your motherboard or your PSU.
Aug 9, 2021
Can be difficult to pinpoint on fresh build, but seeing that your MB does absolutely nothing... That is where I would start. You could gentle take out the entire MB, put in a paperbox or something, install CPU/cooler and ram, and the PSU, not connecting anything else, try jump start the MB with a screwdriver or something to check if there is any life at all.

Aug 16, 2021
Can be difficult to pinpoint on fresh build, but seeing that your MB does absolutely nothing... That is where I would start. You could gentle take out the entire MB, put in a paperbox or something, install CPU/cooler and ram, and the PSU, not connecting anything else, try jump start the MB with a screwdriver or something to check if there is any life at all.

Okay, so I’ve never actually built it outside the case before, not sure what materials I need. Will look into it. Also, not familiar with how to use a screwdriver on the mb

thanks for taking the time to help

Aug 9, 2021
I am quite sure there are experts around here who could give better tips then me, but what I would do at this point is try to power up the MB with the bare minimum to check for life. Starting it up outside the case makes it easier pinpoint if its a MB problem.

Aug 16, 2021
I am quite sure there are experts around here who could give better tips then me, but what I would do at this point is try to power up the MB with the bare minimum to check for life. Starting it up outside the case makes it easier pinpoint if its a MB problem.

sigh did it outside of box and it won’t start at all with the screwdriver. Guess it’s just an RMA.

I followed my case’s instructions for installing the Mobo and where to put the screws. I’ve tried loosening them, as well as slightly loosening the heat sink screws to make sure I didn’t over tighten them and causing a short.

My case came with one standoff, which the instructions never made mention of using. I also only learnt today what a standoff is lol.
Please tell me you didn't install your motherboard into your case with just one standoff. Each motherboard screw requires a standoff.

Aug 16, 2021
Now test the PSU before giving the MB the entire blame
Yeah, I don’t have a voltmeter or another comp setup to test it on. Last one was a prebuilt I had to basically tear to studs to get stuff out of. The PSU was working just fine prior to this - literally three hours prior, and sustained no obvious damage. I’ve had it 8 months and no problems. Thanks for all your help, and taking the time to reply.

Aug 16, 2021
Please tell me you didn't install your motherboard into your case with just one standoff. Each motherboard screw requires a standoff.
Ahh ok so then I broke it lol. That sucks. Why doesn’t it come with 9 standoffs then! Haha. Oh well.

edit: also seems odd that it wasn’t mentioned in the case setup or motherboard setup. Guess it’s just one of those things you’re supposed to know. Now I know to order standoffs as well with my next Mobo

edit 2: I don’t see how I install the standoffs in this case. It already has a bunch of hexagonal holes raised up to screw into. Do I put the standoffs on those? Also can you just buy standoffs?

Last edited:
Standoffs should have been supplied with your case or your motherboard. I'm pretty sure it's the case, and would have be in a plastic bag. If you screwed the motherboard into the case with out standoffs, it would have bent the motherboard and also possibly shorted it.

Aug 16, 2021
Standoffs should have been supplied with your case or your motherboard. I'm pretty sure it's the case, and would be in a plastic bag. If you screwed the motherboard into the case with out standoffs, it would have bent the motherboard and also possibly shorted it.
None came with MOBO, literally one came with case, was even listed as standoff x1 in the included parts in manual

As far as power supplies, I’ve seen things where I had to move a system at the office from one floor to another, a prebuilt that was a few years old as I recall. When I got it to the new station, the pc wouldn’t boot. Ended up replacing the power supply and it was happy. Even though we’d just shut it down a few minutes before.

Aug 16, 2021
Seems like the MB is the culprit here, but you could also double check the PSU, and if the PSU have actual working power connected
Nah as you guys said I shorted it. I didn’t get standoffs and wasn’t aware I was supposed to use them. All good, will just buy all new parts and try again next year haha - and pay someone to build it lol

Thanks for all the help all.

Aug 16, 2021

This is a very similar case to mine, and they’re saying no standoffs needed? Mine also had the raised screws and lines up with I/O shield

Last edited:
Yes, I believe so. It has raised screws that I attach the Mobo to, and lines up with I/O shield. Double checked when I took it out to test outside of case
OK. If it does have the 'raised screws' (which are actually standoffs already screwed in), and you didn't use the spare standoff, then you most likely didn't bend or short your motherboard. The problem is probably something else

Aug 16, 2021
OK. If it does have the 'raised screws' (which are actually standoffs already screwed in), and you didn't use the spare standoff, then you most likely didn't bend or short your motherboard. The problem is probably something else

Well that’s a relief at least. Gonna try a different power supply once I can afford it