New build wont boot, boot_device_led always on

Benegripe

Reputable
May 15, 2015
My problem is: i cant get my new setup to boot. I will describe everything i tried

My build
Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Pro wifi ac
Processor: i5 4690k
Memory: 2x8gb kingston hyperx 1866mhz
Cooler: zalman cnps 14x
GPU: Asus gtx 970 strix
HD: 3tb seagate
SSD: 250gb evo 850 samsung
PSU: EVGA supernova gs 650w
Case: R5 fractal

Basically whats happening:
My build wont boot, i get a error code A2 when there is any sata HD/SSD connected and a 99 when there is none. In both cases, the red light boot_device_led is on. The computer stays on, no beep sounds, but no video at all.

A brief summary:
3 days ago i assembled everything on my new build. When i tried to boot it, sometimes the boot happened and others dont. I was able to install windows and use it for 2 days, but when i turned off yesterday and tried to turn on i couldn't make it give any video.

Since in the motherboard manual says this red light is about the HD verificiation, i tried to boot with none connected. No sucess. I tried to boot around 20 times and i manage to get 1 video with 0 red lights on the board.

I took out the GPU and tried to boot on just with ram, CPU and cooler, with PSU on. No results.

I checked all power connections. With just CPU, motherboard, ram i should only need to connect 2 cables. The ATX 20/24 pins and the 8 pin power to CPU.

I checked if the motherboard was compatible with the i5 4690k. It was with all bios versions.

I took the motherboard out of the case i tried to turn it on. Same erros.

I took out the battery on the motherboard for couple minutes and tried boot again. No sucess.

Since it is a brand new motherboard, im thinking in sending back to the retailer (NCIX) for a fast replacement, but i want to try everything before doing so.

Any ideas of what is the problem?

Benegripe

Reputable
May 15, 2015

I already tried. But i can't test DVI-DVI, just VGA and HDMI. No video and Boot_device_led red LED on.

Benegripe

Reputable
May 15, 2015

I just opened and i couldn't find anything abnormal on the CPU socket. I also tried to do a manual RTC reset as the manual advise, a mem ok! and also reset again the CMOS removing the battery and nothing seemed to work.

Benegripe

Reputable
May 15, 2015

I tried earlier, but i don't know if my flashdrive sucks or if i did something wrong. I will describe what i did:

1- Downloaded the last bios version on the manufacturer page (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/HelpDesk_Download/)

2- Downloaded the renamer

3- Formatted my 16gb flash drive to fat32

4- I put renamer on same folder of the bios and run it, it just rename the bios file Z97P.cap

5- checked if this was the correct name on the manual, checked

6- Found which usb port was the usb flashback on the manual

7- After Z97P.cap was on the flashdrive, plugged in the motherboard

8- Pressed the flashback button

9- blinks for couple of secs then turn solid green

10- read manual and it says it failed, it should be blinking for couple of minutes

I really don't know if i did something wrong, bad flashdrive for this operation or if the motherboard is permanently damaged.
I also tried to rename it by myself, tried format in NTFS and exFat, tried all usb ports.

Benegripe

Reputable
May 15, 2015

Wouldn't be a better option to just send it back for replace/refund? All my build is brand new, like barely 2 weeks.
And as i said, few times it booted, i used for 2 days. When i needed to turn off and on it wouldnt boot.

All my chips are on the motherboard defect. HD/ssd cant be since they are not even plugged, same for GPU. Power supply i really doubt it since i used for 2 days with heavy games and no sign of stress. Of course there is a possibility of being the ram or CPU, but since the error LED for CPU or RAM is not on, everything point for the motherboard.

Benegripe

Reputable
May 15, 2015

Okey. Just sent a message to retailer. Probably next week they will send me a reply.

Thanks for the help.