[SOLVED] New build won't boot, completed usual checklist, how likely is it both sticks of RAM in a kit are DOA?

Aug 15, 2022
Hey guys, I'm having issues with a new build that won't boot. I've gone down the usual "won't boot" checklists, including the one here, and need some advice on how to proceed. I have the system set up on a test bench with no case with only the following:
  • Asus PRIME Z690-P Motherboard
  • i5-12600K w/cooler (Using integrated video)
  • 32GB Kingston Fury KF552C40BBK2 (2x16) DDR5 Memory
  • PC Speaker for POST Beeps
The memory is on Asus' validated QVL list for this board, and the CPU is listed as compatible with all BIOS versions.

With either single 16GB memory DIMM installed in the correct (A2) slot, the CPU fan spins, the system will not boot, no POST beeps, and the power LED blinks 4 times per second, indicating "no/bad memory". This same thing happens with either DIMM installed in any of the 4 slots, or both DIMMS in any combination of slots.

With no memory installed, the CPU fan spins, the speaker will beep the correct repeated "1 long, 2 short" error code that the Asus manual says is for "no memory detected", as well as blink the power LED with 4 times a second, indicating "no/bad memory".
I get these same results with multiple known-working power supplies (confirmed 24pin+8pin are securely connected), so I'm fairly sure it's not that. The test monitor and HDMI cable are also known-working.

I've tried re-seating the CPU, and confirmed none of the pins inside the socket look bent, and none of the pads on the CPU look damaged. I've cleared the CMOS both with the jumper and by removing the battery. No Joy.
Unfortunately, this is my first LGA 1700/DDR5 build, so I don't have any compatible spare CPUs/RAM/Motherboards to conduct additional testing with.

How likely is it I received 2 bad RAM sticks in a kit that's validated for the board vs. a bad CPU? I've encountered DOA RAM before like everyone has, but I've never gotten 2 bad sticks in a new kit at once.
I figure if the motherboard was bad, it wouldn't be throwing the specific no-memory beep sequence without DIMMS installed, but this logic may be faulty and overly optimistic.

What step would you guys take next? Buy a 3rd stick of some kind of RAM and test that, or RMA the CPU? Unfortunately I don't have the bankroll to buy a 2nd CPU and Motherboard to test. Any input or wisdom would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution
Were all of the parts you received totally sealed, shrink wrapped and clearly never opened, or were any of them seemingly previously opened so that we might guess as to whether something may have been returned to one of those retailers and then sold to you?

Memory is easiest and to be honest I have probably seen more problems with Kingston memory than most other brands I've worked with regularly in the past, as far as aftermarket brands go. Since the memory is the error and you don't have other memory to swap it out with, I'd probably return that and maybe try a G.Skill kit. Something from their Ripjaws or Trident Z lines is usually highly reliable and compatible with a broad number of platforms. You can also check for compatibility...
And you are 200% positive you got a Z690-P and not a Z690-P D4, right? Not that I'm doubting you but have to ask. Memory seats correctly and fully, with the notch on the memory aligned with the notch in the slot, yes? I'm sure it is but I've seen some pretty strange crap here over the years so you never know unless you ask.

Where did you purchase the memory from?

Where did you purchase the CPU and the rest of the hardware from?

I mean, if the board is telling you it's memory, then unlikely as it might seem it's likely either that it IS a memory issue, or something related to it like CPU cooler overly tight or highly unevenly tightened causing some cocking in the socket, or just a problem with the board itself.

Aug 15, 2022
And you are 200% positive you got a Z690-P and not a Z690-P D4, right? Not that I'm doubting you but have to ask. Memory seats correctly and fully, with the notch on the memory aligned with the notch in the slot, yes? I'm sure it is but I've seen some pretty strange crap here over the years so you never know unless you ask.

Where did you purchase the memory from?

Where did you purchase the CPU and the rest of the hardware from?

I mean, if the board is telling you it's memory, then unlikely as it might seem it's likely either that it IS a memory issue, or something related to it like CPU cooler overly tight or highly unevenly tightened causing some cocking in the socket, or just a problem with the board itself.

Thanks for the reply! The board is a DDR5 based PRIME Z690-P, and not a D4. The memory was/is seated fully and correctly in all combinations of slots in all tests. The memory was purchased new from Kingston's Amazon Store, and the CPU and motherboard were purchased new from B&H Photo.

I've re-seated the CPU and cooler, I don't think it's an uneven/too tight cooler issue, I'm using a Scythe Fuma 2 that has a pretty bozo-proof mounting system. Once the two mounting brackets are installed on the board, the cooler installs with just a single bolt for each bracket, so it's fairly easy to go back-and-forth a few turns at a time until the cooler is evenly fully seated.

I guess I'm just trying to weigh the odds here. Are the motherboard's error codes right, and both brand-new sticks of vendor-approved memory are bad? What are the odds of that vs a bad CPU? I have to swap something, and I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on what to RMA first.

Up to 4 years ago when the largest french retailler (LDLC ) was still publishing the rates of early breakdowns, the motherboards had a percentage between 1.5 and 2.4 % and the RAM had rates beteween 0.15 and 0.9%.
With the problem that this was 4 years ago, and that DDR5 is of course very new

Last edited:
Were all of the parts you received totally sealed, shrink wrapped and clearly never opened, or were any of them seemingly previously opened so that we might guess as to whether something may have been returned to one of those retailers and then sold to you?

Memory is easiest and to be honest I have probably seen more problems with Kingston memory than most other brands I've worked with regularly in the past, as far as aftermarket brands go. Since the memory is the error and you don't have other memory to swap it out with, I'd probably return that and maybe try a G.Skill kit. Something from their Ripjaws or Trident Z lines is usually highly reliable and compatible with a broad number of platforms. You can also check for compatibility based on motherboard on the G.Skill memory configurator on their website.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator

But since it's already out of the case it's really kind of a roll of the dice and up to you which you want to try first. Personally, I'd probably try the memory first but that's just me.

What is your exact power supply model?

Solution
Aug 15, 2022
But since it's already out of the case it's really kind of a roll of the dice and up to you which you want to try first. Personally, I'd probably try the memory first but that's just me.

This is solved! It turns out the board wasn't lying -- both sticks of Kingston RAM were defective. I RMA'd the Kingston and swapped to a Corsair ‎CMK32GX5M2A4800C40 (2x16 4800mhz) kit. System booted right up with no problems, both DIMMs work fine.

I have never seen both sticks of matched ram in a sealed kit end up defective. Guess there's a first time for everything! Thank you again for the help. Trophy'd!

Actually, to "trophy" you have to actually click on the trophy, not the upvote arrow. All you did was upvote. But I'm glad your problem was resolved either way AND, I HAVE seen multiple sticks come faulty before which is why I said it was the most likely culprit.