[SOLVED] New build won't boot to windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 22, 2021
Hi everyone,

I recently bought some new hardware and migrated over components from my previous build. Some of the components that came over from my previous build are my hard drives including (2) m.2 drives and (2) 2.5 inch ssds. One of the m.2 drives had the windows install from my old build, in my new config I only get to the bios. I can't load up windows from the m.2 drive that has it installed already and if I boot from a usb drive it only shows my m.2 that has windows to do a fresh install onto. At the current time I'm not looking to format as I don't want to lose the data.

I'm running
corsair 4000x case
intel i910900k cpu
gigabyte z590 ultra
32 gb corsair vengeance ram
corsair 1000w psu
970 evo m.2
850 evo m.2
860 evo 4tb ssd
850 evo 1 tb ssd

I took the psu, ram, video card and hard drives from the old build. I've tried running with my video card and without (integrated graphics) and still can't get passed the bios. Any advice would help, thanks.

Solution
10th gen don't have enough cpu lanes for pci-estorage. All pci-e lanes for storage with 10th gen cpu comes from the chipset
Not quite sure that's correct, if you look at Any prior generation that has nvme compatibility all the way back to Z68's, they all use cpu lanes as well as chipset lanes.

11th gen has 20 pcie4.0 cpu lanes and 24 pcie3.0 chipset lanes, 10th Gen has 16 pcie3.0 cpu lanes and 24 pcie3.0 chipset lanes. There's plenty to go around for both pcie x16 dedicated gpu slot and pcie storage or not a single motherboard could use any cpu lanes at all for storage. And yet they do.
Apr 22, 2021
Thanks everyone, the one drive at a time approach worked. I installed windows onto the blank ssd and now 2 of my other drives are connected and I'll be moving my files around and formatting those after I've backed up the data. The only issue I'm having now is of my 2 m.2 drives they only work in the middle slot. The one I have in the bottom slot won't read. This is the case with either of my 2 m.2 drives they'll only work in the middle but I would like to be able to use both. Any suggestions?

If you use a 10thGen processor, and try a pcie4.0 nvme, it'll only function as pcie3.0 as that's the limit of the cpu lanes.
You're right pci-e is backwards compatible but top slot is unavailable with 10th gen cpu. Top slot only get pci-e lanes from the cpu. 10th gen don't have enough cpu lanes for pci-estorage. All pci-e lanes for storage with 10th gen cpu comes from the chipset and that's why only 2nd en 3rd M2 slot is available with 10th gen cpu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
10th gen don't have enough cpu lanes for pci-estorage. All pci-e lanes for storage with 10th gen cpu comes from the chipset
Not quite sure that's correct, if you look at Any prior generation that has nvme compatibility all the way back to Z68's, they all use cpu lanes as well as chipset lanes.

11th gen has 20 pcie4.0 cpu lanes and 24 pcie3.0 chipset lanes, 10th Gen has 16 pcie3.0 cpu lanes and 24 pcie3.0 chipset lanes. There's plenty to go around for both pcie x16 dedicated gpu slot and pcie storage or not a single motherboard could use any cpu lanes at all for storage. And yet they do.

Solution
Apr 22, 2021

Yeah ill look at the manual a bit later but as previously stated all these drives came over from my previous build which had a gigabyte ga z270x gaming 7 motherboard and worked fine.