New Build Won't Boot

spaceharway

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Hey guys,

My new build won't boot [ https://youtu.be/ftTdS9xI9os ] and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Currently hooked up is the PSU (Corsair SF450), with an i7-7700K (with Noctua NH-L9x65), Corsair RAM, and an ASUS Strix B250i motherboard. I decided to try and boot it before attaching the GPU and enclosing it, and I guess that was certainly needed!

The motherboard manual outlines that LEDs will illuminate on the mainboard itself if there is an issue, but the colors it suggest aren't easily discernible (both look the same). I attached a video to hopefully aide in troubleshooting.

This is my second build, so I'm still fairly new. My first one worked flawlessly and I don't recall doing anything differently.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
cant tell the color of the led up by the 24pin.

Boot device is yellow green
dram is yellow

Could be a ram issue, pull 1 stick out and see if it boots.

Also its hard to tell but do you have the 8 pin cpu plug installed. Tried going through the video second by second but cant really tell.
cant tell the color of the led up by the 24pin.

Boot device is yellow green
dram is yellow

Could be a ram issue, pull 1 stick out and see if it boots.

Also its hard to tell but do you have the 8 pin cpu plug installed. Tried going through the video second by second but cant really tell.

Solution

spaceharway

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
Already on it! The 'faulty' stick worked in the slot, and now both are working together. I guess it's time to reattach all SATA/add GPU and see if it will boot still.

I just noticed I have my front 140mm intake (SG13 case with mini ITX mobo, fans important) plugged into the 'AIO' slot not the chassis fan slot. Both working fine, is this of any concern?

Thanks again.

Any fan header on the motherboard is regulated by a temp prob somewhere on the motherboard. The only fan header is the one right above the PCI-e slot and will be regulated by a prob around it. So if he wants the fan running at full speed all the time he will have to plug it into the PSU not the motherboard.

The gpu will also be pulling air in directly from the side panel. You dont have to have a typhoon blowing through the case, just enough to move the hot air out. There are enough vents on that case i dont think he will have an issue with air movement.

spaceharway

Honorable
Aug 15, 2017
My idle temps were 41c, which is high even for the notoriously hot i7-7700k, so I think I'm going to clean and reapply thermal paste tomorrow in case my coverage of the die was a little low. As a result, I've just changed the fan connector anyway.

Thanks to all of you!