New build won't boot

docchirodave

Proper
Jan 6, 2019
I just built a new system, and I cannot get it to boot to bios.

Mb: Rog Maximus XI wifi
Cpu: Intel i7 9700k
Case: Thermaltake Core X71
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX ddr4.
3200 16gb (2x8)
Ssd: Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M2 500gb
Gpu: Evga Geforce RTX 2080 XC
Hdd: Seagate Barracuda 4tb 6ghz 256mb cache
CPU cooler: Evga CLC 280 liquid/water cooler
PS: Evga Supernova 850w P2 fully modular 80+ Platinum
Windows Home OEM

I meticulously put everything together, crossed my fingers, and hit the power button and....no post. It won't boot to the monitor.

The motherboard does one long beep, 3 short beeps and displays the q code A2. It also has the small white and green led's lit next to the q code display.

I have reseated the m2 ssd, moved the ssd to the other m2 port, tried to boot with only the hdd and no ssd, switched SATA cables on hdd, reseated GPU, moved GPU to another PCIe slot, snuggled up all connections on motherboard, and reseated and flip flopped the RAM modules. Same codes and no boot every time.

Please help, gurus! Hopefully I dont have a bad motherboard. Has anyone else run into a similiar problem?

Solution
Looking at the screenshots you had the latest bios,but maybe it was corrupted somehow or needed to be set to optimal default values. Good you tried that update.:)

For the ram enable XMP so it will run at rated speeds,don't think that cpu will have troubles with 3200mhz. Also make sure that M.2 is set as first boot device,but you probably already did.

For the rest take a look,read some tutorials about overclocking,not to do right now,but for if you want to in time so you are as ready as you can be by that time.

Oh .. and you're welcome.:D

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe also post pictures of the motherboard inside the case so people can look how all is connected.

Otehr thing,you might want to try and see if updating the bios might help. There's a "first release" bios and a secondary "Version 0602 from 2018/10/31" which states "" Updated Microcode for 8-core CPU".

Using USB BIOS Flashback, please rename to "M11HW.CAP" after download! Unpack the file before renaming it and putting it in the usb stick.

Elu6X5c.png

docchirodave

Proper
Jan 6, 2019
I'm at work right now so I can't post any pics yet. I downloaded the bios update to a USB stick so I can try that at lunch.

Thank you guy so much for your help. I really appreciate it

docchirodave

Proper
Jan 6, 2019
Alright, I'll take that advice. I pulled the CPU yesterday and looked carefully at the motherboard and CPU itself. I don't see any bent pins or abnormalities. What do you suggest I do next?

docchirodave

Proper
Jan 6, 2019
Alexoiu, I see where you're headed and I like your thinking. Try to boot with no peripherals, and if we get a code it almost has to be the mb or CPU. Then start plugging peripherals back and and booting until we find the culprit.