[SOLVED] New build won't come to life

Feb 18, 2020
My 16 year old son chipped in his savings for components on a new gaming computer for his birthday. We followed a post for best budget computer 2019 to order parts & then assemble. Instructions were pretty straight forward, but when we power up, there are no beeps. There is also no signal to the screen from either the motherboard screen plug or the graphics screen plug. Fans powered off the motherboard are all working. Graphics card fans are not. USB ports on both the case and the motherboard have power because I can plug in a non-computer device that charges off a USB port & their charge lights come on. But none of them will communicate with anything like a mouse or a thumb drive. (ie a when I plug in a mouse that has a light, that mouse light does not come on). The computer has some funky LED lights that are in the frame. They work too. We ordered exactly what the post suggested so the components should all be compatible.

COMPONENTS:
ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Socket AM4/ AMD Promontory B450/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard
CORSAIR CARBIDE 275R Mid-Tower Gaming Case, Window Side Panel- White - CC-9011131-WW
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16 (PC4-19200) Memory Kit Black (CMK8GX4M1A2400C16)
PowerColor AMD Radeon RED Dragon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 1xDL DVI-D/1 x HDMI/3 x DisplayPort Graphics Card(AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC)
AMD YD2600BBAFBOX Processeur RYZEN5 2600 Socket AM4 3.9Ghz Max Boost, 3,4Ghz Base+19MB

Solution
No change after replacing battery & rebooting.
We did not breadbox the motherboard. I assume we would leave the CPU & the memory card & the graphics card installed when we do that? It would sit on the actual cardboard box?

Yeah you put the motherboard on the motherboard box. CPU, RAM and GPU installed. You can unplug the drives and the fans (Case fans. Not the CPU fan). That way if there is any issue with the case you will know.

To start the system like that you can do 2 things. You plug the power switch cables from the case or you short the 2 power switch pin on the motherboard with a screwdriver.

I would rather you use the short the pin on the motherboard instead of using the case at all.

Here is how you start a system...
Feb 18, 2020
And no error codes or any such. The screen is black. The only messages it gives are "No signal" when it is first plugged into the computer or "Not plugged in" when unplugged from computer.

That guide proposed you buy 2400MHz RAM for a Ryzen 2600 and only 1 stick? Horrible suggestion from that guide.

RAM should always be bought in pair for full use of your memory channels. Now you're stock with single channel with a memory bandwidth cut in half. In games it will be a big reduction in FPS in some titles. 2x4GB sticks bought in a kit and NOT 2400MHz. A ryzen 2600 should have 3000-3200MHz RAM.

Check all your cables connection. Your GPU should be using a 8pin cable with PCIe or VGA written on the cable. The full 8 pin goes in the PSU and the 6+2 into your GPU.

The CPU motherboard power connection is a 4 pin with CPU written on the cable.

No to the memory slot. Afraid I'll have to ask for clarification on that. Memory slot for which device? And you mean on the motherboard?

You have 2 slots of memory on the motherboard to the right of the CPU. Your memory stick is probably in the first slot closest to the CPU. If you know how to remove the stick and try it on the second slot for testing if you have a faulty slot.

It's hard to tell by just looking at the picture of your motherboard if you have qcode led on the board. I can see 2 rectangle close to your CPU at the top. I have no idea if those are chips or Qcode error. Just look at the motherboard when the PC is running. If you have error led on the motherboard they should show something like A0, E1 etc.

Turn off the system. Unplug the PSU. Remove the battery on your motherboard for 10 minutes. Put it back on. Plug your PSU. Try powering the system.

Did you test the system outside of the case? It's called breadbox. You put the motherboard on the motherboard box.

It could be a short caused by your motherboard touching the case. So removing the build from the case and breadboxing it could show you that the system boots fine and when you put it in the case it doesn't.

It could be your power supply being faulty.

Your GPU fans are not turning and that's normal. GPU's fans are not spinning while the GPU is under a certain temperature.

You can't test the system on the motherboard graphics port because you do not have integrated graphics with that CPU or motherboard. So that port won't give you any signal. It has to be on the GPU.

Feb 18, 2020
I've got the battery out & the PSU completely unplugged. I'll repower in a few minutes. Thanks for letting me know it is normal for the graphics card fans to not kick in until it warms up.

Would the power system be faulty with those 3 fans running off the motherboard?

Feb 18, 2020
We did not breadbox the motherboard. I assume we would leave the CPU & the memory card & the graphics card installed when we do that? It would sit on the actual cardboard box?

I've got the battery out & the PSU completely unplugged. I'll repower in a few minutes. Thanks for letting me know it is normal for the graphics card fans to not kick in until it warms up.

Would the power system be faulty with those 3 fans running off the motherboard?

Nah. The only way you can have problem with fans is when you try to plug a ton of them on the same motherboard header. If you're using 1 fan or 2 with a spliter on the same header there won't be any problems.

The term I wanted to use is Breadboarding and not breadboxing lol.

Yeah you put the motherboard on the motherboard box. CPU, RAM and GPU installed. You can unplug the drives and the fans (Case fans. Not the CPU fan). That way if there is any issue with the case you will know.

To start the system like that you can do 2 things. You plug the power switch cables from the case or you short the 2 power switch pin on the motherboard with a screwdriver.

I would rather you use the short the pin on the motherboard instead of using the case at all.

Here is how you start a system when you breadboard it.

View: https://imgur.com/a/V3xRACQ

You take a screwdriver and you short the 2 pin named POWERBTN# and GND. That picture is taken from your motherboard. Do not short or touch the other pin. When you touch the 2 pin with the screwdriver the system should turn on. Some motherboard come with a power button on the board but you don't have one so you're left using this method. It's very easy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPZlliGqBw

Last edited:
Solution
If breadboarding the system doesn't work I would reinstall the CPU and heatsink.

If that doesn't work try different power cable if you have any extra that came with your PSU. Another PCie cable for your GPU. Use another PCie slot from your PSU.

It could be a PSU issue too. Faulty PSU not giving enough power to the GPU and you have no signal. Did you test the monitor on something else to be sure it's working? Another monitor cable? Using another port on the GPU? Check if the CPU has any bent pin.

It could be a lot of stuff really.

Feb 18, 2020
If breadboarding the system doesn't work I would reinstall the CPU and heatsink.

If that doesn't work try different power cable if you have any extra that came with your PSU. Another PCie cable for your GPU. Use another PCie slot from your PSU.

It could be a PSU issue too. Faulty PSU not giving enough power to the GPU and you have no signal. Did you test the monitor on something else to be sure it's working? Another monitor cable? Using another port on the GPU? Check if the CPU has any bent pin.

It could be a lot of stuff really.

Feb 18, 2020
OK, you've given me a bunch of stuff to try. Thank you so much. The monitor is good. It was working just fine with the cable we are using on another computer just before starting this build. I really appreciate your help. My son & I will take a run at the breadboard thing when he gets back from school.