Question New build won't detect all RAM

ladywillow

Commendable
Oct 8, 2017
I made a new PC build, and it won't recognize all 16 GB of RAM that I put in.

X470 Gaming Plus MOBO
2 8 GB sticks Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM
Ryzen 5 2600x CPU
1050 ti GPU

Bios was recognizing all 16 BG ram and windows was showing that I had 16 GB but was reserving 8 gb for hardware. I read a guide that said to fix that I should update my mobo bios so I did to the latest version that came out end of September. Now bios does not recognize all 16 GB of ram any more.

I have tried moving sticks around, booting with one at a time, cleaning the ram, running the windows tool to detect memory problems. I don't know what else to try.

The ram was all detected by bios as of an hour and a half ago and since updating bios it does not detect so I don't think the ram or mobo/slots are faulty. I have checked four times, the ram is fully seated.

What else can I do?

ladywillow

Commendable
Oct 8, 2017
Looked in bios again, I'm not really great with computer stuff but maybe its showing two sticks in two slots? But still says only 8gb...

Also here's my task manager:

ladywillow

Commendable
Oct 8, 2017
Yes, and it also is printed on the board to use 2 and 4. Just for funsies I also tried 1 and 3, 1 and 2, and 3 and 4... made no difference at all.

ladywillow

Commendable
Oct 8, 2017
Neither works alone which makes no sense at all. I'm putting in slot 2 which is what the manual says to do. Computer turns on but never gets past black screen for either stick but obviously at least 1 works? Completely confused at this point.

ladywillow

Commendable
Oct 8, 2017
Ok so I put the ram in 3 and 4 and bios is showing 16gb!!!

I know that isnt ideal buuuuut... progress?

How can I see if it's running single channel, and why is that bad?

When my husband gets home I will have him help me look for bent pins, and also have him loosen the cpu cooler to be safe, we did crank it on pretty good I think...

ladywillow

Commendable
Oct 8, 2017
YAASSS windows finally sees all my glorious ram!!

I will take this as a win and not fiddle further until the hubby is here and there is more light, and I'll shoot for 1 and 3 tomorrow!

Thank you very much for the help!!! :D

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS