Question New Build Won't Display - X299

I just built this PC - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bkn2J8

I've only got one RAM stick installed, even tried a different 8GB RAM stick.

I've tried no storage devices and a single and multiple.

I've tried 3 different GPUs.

It will power on and go through the boot cycle showing numerous codes on the Debug LED (as normal I would suppose). Then it stops on code A2. Num-lock on the keyboard lights up shortly before it stops. Sometimes it goes through the codes and stops on no code at all. If I hit DEL repeatedly it will switch from A2 to A9. The same thing happens even without the GPU installed. A0-A7 is "Problem related to IDE or SATA devices." I think that is showing because there is no bootable drive. A9 is not an error code.

I think it's simply not reading the PCIe graphics.

There is no iGPU to use instead.

Halp :confused_old:

Then it's not a BIOS issue. Most probably a video related one. With A2 there should be signal on monitor. Have you tested different monitor and video cable?
Yes. I was using HDMI monitor then switched to DP monitor. Now I removed a drive and have one of the PCIe drives and a DVD/BD drive and it goes to A2 code and then no code and stays there with no code. Everything is running is just isn't displaying anything on the monitor. When the system boots, the monitor will light up but nothing comes on it and then it goes dark.

And what code with single RAM and no PCIe device (graphics card, or other)?
A2 I think. Maybe A2 and then no code.

BUUUT... I got it working. I removed the PCIe SSD from slot 3 and put the GPU in slot 3 and it is now displaying and working. Very odd though. I will see if I can get it working in slot 1, although I'm not sure it matters since I will have 3 PCIe slots puplated and all 3 will run at 8x.

So relieved!! :D

Thanks for the help.

Still doesn't work in slot 1. That will not be optimal in slot 3 because the second SSD in slot 4 will block airflow to the GPU. However, this isn't a gaming machine and will rarely use the GPU on the occasional editing task.

Any idea why it won't work in slot 1?

Does that particular board use a pair of 8 pin CPU power inputs from PSU to mainboard, and if so...are both connected?

Does GPU require a pair of PCI-E GPU pwr inputs (6 pin + 8 pin?), and, if so...are both connected?

EDIT: I see now you have a display, awesome! (naturally, the 7800X does not have as many PCI-e lanes as a 7900X, so, if two PCI-e X16 GPU slots are populated, you will possibly be at 8x lanes on each...which does not affect most people)

It's doubtful you will be able to RMA that thing. I just upgraded this desktop and you really have to look at those Intel chips and the socket. If it is right, it will just drop in.
Right. I'll have to take the loss and keep a lesson learned. LGA2066 is upside down compared to LGA1151. The triangle indicator on the Taichi is not very noticeable and is non-visible after you lift the latch. It seemed to drop right in, but apparently not.

Last edited:
Right. I'll have to take the loss and keep a lesson learned. LGA2066 is upside down compared to LGA1151. The triangle indicator on the Taichi is not very noticeable and is non-visible after you lift the latch. It seemed to drop right in, but apparently not.
I am not familiar with that. I just Upgraded from a Skylake i7 6700k to a Coffe lake ( I think ) i7 8700k and had to really pay attention to that thing. The Triangle wasn't all that noticeable nor were the "pins" & Slots.

TRENDING THREADS