Question New build won't POST, no fans and no display ?

Apr 6, 2023
Me and my girlfriend wanted to build a new pc so she could game along side me but the universe doesn't want her to. Same issue occurred a week ago and I shilled out the cash for a new motherboard to no avail. I've turned to this forum to to save us in our plight. On startup, nothing. no fans, no POST, no display. I don't know what else to write in here, i'm very aggravated.

Specs:
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600X
Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32 GB (16x2)
Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Gigabyte UD850GM 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

HAYLa9J.jpg

Apr 6, 2023
Yuppers, swapped the psu with the one from my setup and it didn’t change anything. I dont trust the cables, but i dont want to tear apart my cable management to get my 24 pin out of my good pc. So we are kind of lost. I used the cpu to flash my bios a week ago so i know that 3600x is good

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yuppers, swapped the psu with the one from my setup and it didn’t change anything.

If that meant reusing modular cables already in place with her pc, that is a huge no no. Power supply industry don't follow pinout standards, you might've been lucky though if your psu has short protections if pins were different, as in prevent power up. Please don't do that again. Anything modular belongs to the psu it comes with unless you know for sure pinouts are the same.

Apr 6, 2023
Can confirm did not power up, my psu is still alive thankfully. That would have ruined my night. Wont do that again
Gonna sleep on it, but i might end up getting another psu, 2 motherboards 2 sets of memory known good cpu and gpu. Proccess of elimination points towards psu. Unless I destroyed all my equipment due to ignorance

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can confirm did not power up, my psu is still alive thankfully. That would have ruined my night. Wont do that again

Not just the power supply but damage to everything it's connected to via modular cabling with different pin arrangement. I don't know why the industry isn't standardised, it should be, at least a warning sticker would be nice. It isn't the case sadly and people have fried components. Quality psus do have short protections though but hasn't always been the case.

Apr 6, 2023
Not just the power supply but damage to everything it's connected to via modular cabling with different pin arrangement. I don't know why the industry isn't standardised, it should be, at least a warning sticker would be nice. It isn't the case sadly and people have fried components. Quality psus do have short protections though but hasn't always been the case.
I may be one of those people but i still have hope. But i guess i need to order a new psu. My cooler master psu has lasted this long, and didnt trick me into buying a motherboard. My poor wallet

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The psu you got for her is pretty darn good, i don't really know why there's no power getting through. Possibly motherboard is unlucky for the 2nd time.

Can't go wrong with Corsair Rmx series. Any psu with 10 year factory warranty is A+.

Compatibility issues like unsupported bios would still show signs of power. No power at all, just dead, is pretty evident there's a power fault somewhere.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Power switch is correct, no renegade standoffs. last mobo I was doing it breadboard style. jumped the power switch and didn't get anywhere.
My next step would be to check the PS_ON signal at the 24 pin connector at the motherboard. This signal should go to common when the power on button is pressed. The pinouts for this connector can be found at https://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html . Any voltmeter should be good to measure this - one probe on common (ground) and one probe on PS_ON while pressing the power on button will show if the path is complete to the motherboard.
DaleH