Question New build won't POST (Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte Aorus B450)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2019
My CPU fan and system fans turn on and some orange lights on the motherboard light up, but I can't get the BIOS to come up, or any video output at all. I have a video card (Radeon 5700 XT), but took it out, along with the hard drives, just to see if I could get anything to show up. The monitors I've tried just say "no input." Specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mini-ITX
RAM: 2 x 8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4

The motherboard had a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on the box, so it should be working with that processor.

Right now I don't have the SSD or video card connected, just the CPU and cooler, RAM, power switch from the front panel, and PSU cables. I've been through the stickied "will not POST checklist" and did all the steps, except the one about not using an HDMI cable. The motherboard only has HDMI and Displayport outputs; I have a Displayport cable on the way to try. Also have a beep speaker ordered, although I couldn't find any info about the beep codes in the motherboard's manual.

Everything is firmly plugged in, I've tried one stick of RAM in both slots, and both PSU cables are plugged in (24-pin and 8-pin for the CPU). I also tried an older PSU that I know works, with no luck.

Unfortunately, I don't have another CPU with an AM4 socket, and I don't have any other DDR4 memory sticks, so I haven't been able to try other parts. Is there any way to figure out which isn't working? And do the orange lights on the motherboard mean something, or are those just for decoration? There are eight orange lights along the side of the board next to the RAM, opposite the IO shield.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.