Question New build won't power on correctly

Jul 12, 2019
I've been building my first PC for about 8 years, so I'm rusty. It's a 3600 with a B450 board (Asrock Fatality B450 Gaming-ITX), powered by a modular 650W PSU.

I've installed the CPU and its AIO cooler, the RAM, and plugged in the mobo and CPU power connector along with the front panel power switch and power light headers. When I switch the machine on, the front panel illuminates, so power is clearly getting to the mobo. After about 30 seconds, the front panel light goes off, the little LED in the AIO pump flashes briefly, the AIO fan (connected to the CPU fan header) spins, and then the front panel illuminates again. This cycle just repeats constantly. The mobo has no power LED or a built-in speaker for POST, and I don't have a spare speaker to connect, so I can't immediately tell what the issue is. I've reseated the RAM and ensured the power connectors are fully in, but the problem persists.

My initial thoughts are that the mobo BIOS hasn't been updated to support zen 2. Amazon specifically told me the boards were good to go out of the box, but I'm not sure I believe that. Is that a possibility? I really don't want to think that I've fried the mobo, especially as I've been paranoid about ESD. Interestingly, if the CPU power connector ISN'T attached, the whole AIO LED/fan spinning thing doesn't happen.

If you know anyone who has a Ryzen 1000/2000 CPU, or a local shop that could help you out, I'd recommend borrowing one to see if the PC will boot. If so, update the BIOS then take it back to your home and away you go with your 3600. I've seen videos of BestBuy's Geek Squad (for America) where you can take your PC in and they fix it, so if you live close to one you could ask them. Other tech shops will probably do something similar.
Also, do you have a graphics card? The 3600 doesn't have an integrated GPU, so a dedicated card is needed.

Reactions: payday_sustainer
Jul 12, 2019
Alright, thanks! I'm glad it sounds less like a fried mobo and more like a BIOS issue. I half-expected the board not to be updated, so maybe Amazon will give me some nice compensation.

Also, do you have a graphics card? The 3600 doesn't have an integrated GPU, so a dedicated card is needed.

I have, but don't have it installed. Would it cause the same issues I'm having?

It depends on how the motherboard handles video. As long as the PSU you have has the connectors needed, you should put it in and see what happens. It could be that the lack of GPU is causing the problems, as without the graphics card installed there is nothing in your system to process any video. Remember to plug the monitor cable into the graphics card and not the motherboard too!