Question New Build Wont Power on with GPU Installed

May 20, 2019
Hi Gang:

Long time forum reader, first time poster. I'm having an issue with a new build I put together for my wife. The general components are here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4zDk29
I'm reusing her old SSD, it is a Samsung Evo 960, 500 GB capacity if I remember right. I built an almost identical machine a few months ago for myself, differences were RAM, case and I put an M.2 boot drive and a Seagate 2TB Barracuda in mine.
Here's the situation, built the wife's brand new machine, booted it up, got Windows re-authenticated, and everything ran fine for about 8 hours of gaming use and then we left it on overnight. The next morning, during light web browsing, the thing randomly powered down and wouldn't start back up. Through various trial and error, I discovered the following: the new machine wouldn't power on with the new RX580 installed with power connected to it (8-pin). I put an old R7 260 in (6 pin) and it worked fine. I used an old 600W power supply and the 260, worked fine. Used the 600W PSU and the RX580, and it wouldn't power on. Early in the troubleshooting, I thought it was the mobo, and have since had that replaced. It was after the fact that I did some additional digging around with the GPU (basically I had forgotten I had an old GPU to test with)I am still waiting on a replacement RX580. The new motherboard and original PSU fire up and run fine with the old R7 260. This leads to my ultimate question: is the new GPU really the culprit, or is there something going on with the new PSU that it works fine on a 6-pin powered GPU, but the 8-pin is having issues? Again, I have an almost identical setup (mobo, GPU, PSU) in my machine and it runs just fine. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to get a replacement GPU only to find out that the culprit is really the PSU or something else that I haven't thought of.

hang-the-9

Titan
With that power supply and new motherboard the system should work fine, only way to find out if it's the video card or not is to test the card in another system past what you are doing, waiting for a replacement.

May 20, 2019
With that power supply and new motherboard the system should work fine, only way to find out if it's the video card or not is to test the card in another system past what you are doing, waiting for a replacement.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I had to send the card back as RMA before I could get a new one, so my options for testing it in another system are null. I should get some feedback on the RX580 card that is RMA'd in the next day or two.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS