Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
My build:
GA-Z87-HD3
GTX 970 G1 Gaming
i7-4790K
HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz
550W PSU by MS-tech

OK, so I decided to build my first pc from parts, components listed above. When I try to start the PC up, though, it only works for a second or two, and then shuts down.
Everything in this PC is completely new, except the HDD, on which I already have my OS from my old PC, and some other personal files(games and stuff). I'm guessing it's the PSU. Before this one, I tried to use a different PSU, but it had the same problem, so I bought this one.

Solution
It shuts down because the box you installed in your PC with the MS-tech "550W" label is a PSU-shaped object. Likely good for no more than 250W-300W, it shuts down because it cannot handle the load. Fortunately it's overload protection seems to be in place and working (so far), as such ..."devices" often die violently, taking attached parts with them.
For the sake of getting your system running, you may try removing the GTX970 and use integrated video until you have obtained a PSU.
Once the system will stay on, you will need to reload Windows. Drivers will be completely different. If your machine boots at all, it will likely be unstable, but it will likely just hang or BSOD.
A quality 500W PSU will run your new rig. I would suggest...
It shuts down because the box you installed in your PC with the MS-tech "550W" label is a PSU-shaped object. Likely good for no more than 250W-300W, it shuts down because it cannot handle the load. Fortunately it's overload protection seems to be in place and working (so far), as such ..."devices" often die violently, taking attached parts with them.
For the sake of getting your system running, you may try removing the GTX970 and use integrated video until you have obtained a PSU.
Once the system will stay on, you will need to reload Windows. Drivers will be completely different. If your machine boots at all, it will likely be unstable, but it will likely just hang or BSOD.
A quality 500W PSU will run your new rig. I would suggest a model built by Seasonic (their own, XFX, some Antec, EVGA GS), Delta (some Antec), or Super Flower (Kingwin Lazer, Rosewill Capstone, EVGA B2 or G2).

Edit: Note that the Corsair CX and GS lines, though better than what you have, are not good PSUs.

Solution

mirnes55

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I already tried removing the GPU, and the HDDs as well but it's all the same.
The CPU uses only 95 W, so it's not possible that this is a too big load for it, since it used to run a system with a 9600 GT and a Core2Quad Q9300.

mirnes55

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
I already told you, I tried removing the GPU, but nothing changes.
And I also noticed that with every powering on, it gets weaker, and remains on for a shorter period of time.. Right now, it only has enough power to power its own cooler, no sounds or anything.

mirnes55

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
On the PSU, it says "ATX power supply", but the MoBO is mATX. Probably a stupid question, but, could this be the problem? And also, how do I update BIOS if I can't boot it up?