JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
So ive been slowly buying up parts over the year for a new build

Case: Thermaltake Tower 100 mini

Motherboard: Supermicro SuperO C9Z390-CG-IW 🤷‍♀️

CPU: i7-9700k

SSD: WD BLACK SN750 SE NVMe 1TB SSD

RAM: 2x16G CorsVengLPX DDR4 3200C16 ... bought with my kids z170 in mind to upgrade later on

PSU: EVGA 750 GQ 80 PLUS Gold PSU 750W Semi Modular Power Supply Unit

No GPU as planning to buy that way later on down the line

Firstly there isn't much on this board to refer back to so any advice appreciated. The manual has me confused to as the front panel diagram the connectors run across the 2 lane of pins rather than the length of the lanes like EVERY other board I see. On the diagram it says pins 1 - 16 instead of 9 ... these are indicated with 1 and 16 at the other end. I connected as described and nothing happens so I played around and noticed if I wire them the opposite way round I get a blue power light on my case.

The only thing that happens every time I power on is a quick flash from the boards built in LED strip but no other system LED's on the board ... I really hope my board is not dead as I cant find another so any suggestions as I'm lost 🤦‍♀️
Thanks

I will test everything eventually on my kids older PC when I get a chance to use it

Last edited:
So ive been slowly buying up parts over the year for a new build

Case: Thermaltake Tower 100 mini
Motherboard: Supermicro SuperO C9Z390-CG-IW 🤷‍♀️
CPU: i7 9700k
RAM: 2x16G CorsVengLPX DDR4 3200C16 ... bought with my kids z170 in mind to upgrade later on
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ 80 PLUS Gold PSU 750W Semi Modular Power Supply Unit
No GPU as planned to buy that way later on down the line

Firstly there isn't much on this board to refer back to so any advice appreciated. The manual has me confused to as the front panel diagram the connectors run across the 2 lane of pins rather than the length of the lanes like EVERY other board I see. On the diagram it says pins 1 - 16 instead of 9 ... these are indicated with 1 and 16 at the other end. I connected as described and nothing happens so I played around and noticed if I wire them the opposite way round I get a blue power light on my case.

The only thing that happens every time I power on is a quick flash from the boards built in led strip but no other system leds on the board ... I really hope my board is not dead as I cant find another so any suggestions as I'm lost 🤦‍♀️
Thanks

I will test everything eventually on my kids older PC when I get a chance to use it
When was it last time you looked at front connectors, for years now the are in two rows.
Chapter 2-17
Columns 1 and 2
Connect switches/buttons across so marked contacts in each column.
For instance, Power button to first 2 connectors in columns 1 and 2 (first row), Reset button to second row.
LEDs in column 1 goes ' side, in column 2 minus side.
Switches/buttons have no polarity, LEDs do, if wrong way around nothing happens.

Reactions: JuJu78

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
Thanks for the reply ... I tried power switch in pin 1 on the top and pin 2 underneath it ... wont let me jump it either.

Do you think it might possibly be the battery ? Only ask this as it seems to pop up a lot in places I look for help.

The person I bought it from said in the description that he got it from a reputable company and it was used for testing then boxed and shelved again but was working.

I really like this little board and it would be a shame to give up all hope. I noticed and pulled out a tiny piece of lint from the CPU socket before installing CPU so I'm going to pull it all apart later and check with a magnifier to double check.

Strange how the manual says power LED plus 15 minus 16 and nothing happens yet they work opposite in 1 and 2

Last edited:
A nice looking motherboard.
A processor will not start if a cpu cooler is not installed with a working fan connected to the cpu
fan header.
Front panel pwr and rst pins are not polarity sensitive.
LED pins are + and - sensitive.
No harm if you get them wrong, just reverse them.

There is always a risk in seating a processor.
It is very easy to bend a pin if you do not drop it in cleanly.
Usually, a bent pin shows up as ram issues.
I would not be in a hurry to pull the cpu.

The cmos cr2032 battery is used to hold bios settings across full power off times.
It is not likely to be the cause for your issues.
If you have a tester, it should read 3v.

You should be able to start the motherboard by momentarily shorting the two PWR pins.

For convenience, buy a button like this for your toolkit:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121..._switch-_-12-119-009-_-Product&quicklink=true

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
Thanks I like it too and I don't think I will find another but live and learn.

I found the c370 new from China but I'm thinking just to cheap out for awhile and get some other H type board socket 1151 and then pass it down to my younger kid for his first build ..

I'm just guessing its kaput as it wont jump with a screwdriver.
The onboard LED strip flash on every start attempt and the fact I get a power light when I connect them to whatever ones seem to work are a little confusing if it is dead.

Thanks for the reply ... I tried power switch in pin 1 on the top and pin 2 underneath it ... wont let me jump it either.

Do you think it might possibly be the battery ? Only ask this as it seems to pop up a lot in places I look for help.

The person I bought it from said in the description that he got it from a reputable company and it was used for testing then boxed and shelved again but was working.

I really like this little board and it would be a shame to give up all hope. I noticed and pulled out a tiny piece of lint from the CPU socket before installing CPU so I'm going to pull it all apart later and check with a magnifier to double check.

Strange how the manual says power LED plus 15 minus 16 and nothing happens yet they work opposite in 1 and 2
No, Power switch/button goes to pins 1 and 2.
Reset to pins 3 and 4 and so on. Everything connect across columns. For all LEDs, left column is + side.

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
No, Power switch/button goes to pins 1 and 2.
Reset to pins 3 and 4 and so on. Everything connect across columns. For all LEDs, left column is + side.
Fixed its a new dead PSU I'm so happy 😁 I'm going to test the dead one out off my case just to make sure its def dead and not my case somehow causing any issues... Next challenge returns and refund...

Reactions: CountMike

JuJu78

Honorable
Nov 18, 2016
Baffled with the WIFI on this board any pointers please
point! I've even had the shroud and card off to make sure it was seated ... I had to update bios just get windows on it and im not sure if an update messed it up. I used ethernet to do everything in the end. After carrying pc from one room with router in to my room without the router I noticed available connects over wifi appeared but it was flicker on and off, I managed to get my password on and connected until reboot now all I get is a windows error to press a switch or button on my pc as if its a laptop needing activation like a laptop.... any ideas appreciated thanks again

Baffled with the WIFI on this board any pointers please
point! I've even had the shroud and card off to make sure it was seated ... I had to update bios just get windows on it and im not sure if an update messed it up. I used ethernet to do everything in the end. After carrying pc from one room with router in to my room without the router I noticed available connects over wifi appeared but it was flicker on and off, I managed to get my password on and connected until reboot now all I get is a windows error to press a switch or button on my pc as if its a laptop needing activation like a laptop.... any ideas appreciated thanks again
Probably bad WiFi signal strength and it can't make solid connection.

Onboard wifi may need the antennas to be connected to get a weak signal.
If you do not have the antennas, you could try creating one by wrapping some wires around the posts temporarily. It does not take much.

If you need wifi, an add in card with a good antenna should not be very expensive. wifi usb buttons will not catch a weak signal.