New Build Won't Turn On, Possible PSU Problem

dundundunnn

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Today I started my new build, I tried an outside the box build (installed CPU, CPU Cooler, Motherboard, GPU and Ram) tried shorting the two started pins, and nothing. No beeps, no leds, absolutely nothing. I think it may be the PSU, but were not too sure.

Here are my specs:

Intel i5 6600k
Gigabyte H170-DS3H
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 TI
EVGA 500w Bronze PSU

I tried testing the PSU, it's not dead I'm just wondering if the PSU is not supplying enough wattage.
Thanks!

Solution

CMOS pins?! No, that will not be right. CMOS pins are for resetting BIOS settings.
You have to short pins on F_Panel connector - Power Switch (PW+,PW-)
Consult motherboard user manual page 16.

dundundunnn

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
tried doing it several times still nothing...

Nick Buchny

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Try removing everything that isn't mandatory for it to run, IE GPU, one stick of RAM if you're using more than one, then reconnect the PSU. Do PSUs spin if not connected to a board in general?

Did you use a grounding strap? Are you doing this on a surface that can build charge?

dundundunnn

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

Yes, the PSU works by itself, EVGA sends a tester with the PSU and it works...I'm working on the mobo box, with the static bag underneath, and then I have been touching metal, my case and PSU, like a mad man, making sure I don't discharge something.

Just tried using all of the necessary components, still nothing...I am so confused.

Can't see very much on that photo.
Please take another one from top, so that that gigantic cpu cooler doesn't obstruct the view.
Also - remove GPU,
connect PSU and
leave only one ram module.

BTW - I'd suggest changing postition of cpu cooler, so that airflow goes in direction to backside of pc.

Nick Buchny

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015

Are you sure you're shorting the switch properly? I remember my first build I thought I was, however I wasn't, once I connected the case fan, and then the case switch and hit the case switch, I resolved my issue. Sounds like it could be MOBO otherwise.

dundundunnn

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

http://imgur.com/a/FPbOk Ok, I took off the fan, I can remove the heat sink if needed, to see the CPU, if you need me to remove that I can. Thanks for the tip on the positioning of the CPU Cooler, will definitely switch that!

dundundunnn

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

Yes they are, we have tried it multiple times as well. I am shorting the CMOS pins. Maybe I'm not shorting them right? I am using a tiny flathead screwdriver.

dundundunnn

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

OMG NO WAY, I cannot believe I was hitting the wrong pins!! Thanks you sooo much dude!