[SOLVED] New build won't turn on

yeung107

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
PC build:
Motherboard:GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
PSU: CORSAIR CX-M Series CX550M
Processor: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz
SSD: Team Group GX2 2.5" 512GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Ram: GeIL EVO SPEAR 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-1067-KR, 6GB GDDR5
Hardrive: Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini Black MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

When I attempt to boot the computer nothing happens at all. The front panel connectors all seem to be in the right spot and the cpu and 24 pin connect are snug in the motherboard. After the computer didn't boot with all of the components I tried some trouble shooting. I've attempted to remove some components, following instructions online to try to get the pc to display some type of life to no avail. In the front panel, I've removed the usb2.0 and usb3.0 connectors, sata cables, and the gpu to boot only the motherboard with the ram and cpu but nothing happens. I know the power supply works (checked with paperclip test) and I've already checked the standoffs. Im currently at a loss and Ive tried checking the wires multiple times and replugging in some components.
Pictures: View: https://imgur.com/a/6ru3TVU

This is a current picture of the build with no gpu and SSD plugged in. Should I try to replug everything back in (gpu, ssd, etc). I'm not too sure where to go and how to test if the motherboard or cpu works.

Solution
Try remove the RAM too, clear the CMOS. After that, boot the PC without GPU, RAM, and SSD.

1. If you get the same result, that means either the cpu or MB has problem. But usually the problem will be from the MB, if the cpu does not have any bent pin.
  2. If the pc will get some type of life, that means the RAM has problem.
Try remove the RAM too, clear the CMOS. After that, boot the PC without GPU, RAM, and SSD.

1. If you get the same result, that means either the cpu or MB has problem. But usually the problem will be from the MB, if the cpu does not have any bent pin.

Solution

yeung107

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013

Should I removed the usb2.0, 3.0, F-Audio, and sata cables as well? Also does it matter if it is in the case?

yeung107

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013

No life at all. I removed everything besides the cpu, cpu fan, cpu connector, and the 24 pin connector. Does this mean my motherboard is most likely DOA?

yeung107

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
So after testing my last motherboard I came to the conclusion that it was DOA. I just received a new one today and I just test only the motherboard, cpu, cpu fan, and the power supply. I plugged the 24 pin connector and cpu connector snug. After placing the screwdriver on the pwr switch nothing happens. I tested the psu with the paper clip test before and it was working fine. Is it possible the power supply is still faulty and maybe doesn't supply power or fries the motherboard? Is it also possible that the cpu is faulty? Nothing happens at all when I try to short the power supply. What could possibly be wrong with he setup so far?

PC build:

here is an image of the current build:
View: https://imgur.com/a/KXQUQ0l

Last edited:

yeung107

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2013
So after testing my last motherboard I came to the conclusion that it was DOA. I just received a new one today and I just test only the motherboard, cpu, cpu fan, and the power supply. I plugged the 24 pin connector and cpu connector snug. After placing the screwdriver on the pwr switch nothing happens. I tested the psu with the paper clip test before and it was working fine. Is it possible the power supply is still faulty and maybe doesn't supply power or fries the motherboard? Is it also possible that the cpu is faulty? Nothing happens at all when I try to short the power supply. What could possibly be wrong with he setup so far?

PC build:

here is an image of the current build:
View: https://imgur.com/a/KXQUQ0l

Mar 17, 2020
Don't forget that, the ugliest part of hooking everything up to the Mobo is your case connectors. I'd be willing to bet if you figured out those connections (usually on the lower right-hand corner of the mobo, should be called something like "F_Panel") that would solve your problem.