[SOLVED] New build working fine for two/three weeks. Now won't turn on unless CMOS is cleared

Aug 12, 2019
For starters, the parts..

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Ryzen 2400G

16GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz

Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD

EVGA G3 Supernova 650 PSU

running Windows 10 Pro - 1903 build 18362.239

Like I stated, I put this all together about two-three weeks ago and it's been running fine. I shut it down two nights ago and in the morning when I hit the power button I would get the fans, mobo LEDs, and the RGB lights for about 1 to 2 seconds then it would shut back down. I thought it may be the PSU so I disco'd everything, jumped the pins on the Mobo connector to turn it on, and tested some of the pins just to see if they were out putting the correct voltages, which they were. I plugged that all back in and it would still do the same thing. I moved on to reseat the RAM and all connectors on the board, still no go. I then tried clearing the CMOS and it finally booted back up. So, I went right into the BIOS and reset the RAM back to 3200MHz and booted back into Windows 10. Everything seemed to be working fine and I even played a couple hours of Hitman 2.

After leaving it for about an hour or two I came back to it off doing the same thing. Hit the power button, get lights and fans for 1-2 seconds, then right back off. I pressed it a couple of more times then went right to clearing the CMOS again and it booted up. The odd thing this time is that when I went into the BIOS the RAM was still set how I had it and not back to defaults. Anyways, it then worked fine the rest of the day. I used it to watch some movies and play a couple of different games then shut it down around midnight. Now this morning, same problem of course and I'm not sure what to test/try next to narrow down what piece of hardware could be causing this..

Also, Windows, drivers, BIOS are all up to date and I haven't had it overclocked or messed with any voltages, just changed the RAM to the correct profile. I'm hoping somebody with some more knowledge than me has any idea what may be going on and what I can do to determine the issue here.

Thanks in advance I appreciate the help!

Solution
Seems to me memory related, the shutdown on boot, ram resetting itself and sometimes not, does give me reason to suspect ram or possibly motherboard bios needing an update for improved compatibility for this particular ram.

Test both ram for at least 5 passed with memtest. Memtest is a tool you boot the system on using a usb stick. Memtest and directions here; https://www.memtest86.com/

Regarding bios updating refer to your manual to learn how if you decide to give it a go.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Seems to me memory related, the shutdown on boot, ram resetting itself and sometimes not, does give me reason to suspect ram or possibly motherboard bios needing an update for improved compatibility for this particular ram.

Test both ram for at least 5 passed with memtest. Memtest is a tool you boot the system on using a usb stick. Memtest and directions here; https://www.memtest86.com/

Regarding bios updating refer to your manual to learn how if you decide to give it a go.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

it still could be the psu, you are not doing any load testing, it can have good voltages all it wants under no load, but then under load it can sag.... so start using the process of elimination, as mentioned above test the snot out of the memory, 4 full passes with Memtest86 with zero errors will make sure it isn't the ram and mobo, then test out the rest of the stuff, cpu, gpu, you can run stress tests... check temps and voltages during gaming, etc..

Aug 12, 2019

I actually did run memory test for a few hours about a week ago just to make sure they were good. And the mobo BIOS is on the current build.

Aug 12, 2019
it still could be the psu, you are not doing any load testing, it can have good voltages all it wants under no load, but then under load it can sag.... so start using the process of elimination, as mentioned above test the snot out of the memory, 4 full passes with Memtest86 with zero errors will make sure it isn't the ram and mobo, then test out the rest of the stuff, cpu, gpu, you can run stress tests... check temps and voltages during gaming, etc..

Yeah, I agree about the load testing. It's odd though that once I reset it and get it working again I can shutdown/reboot the PC multiple times and not have any issues with it turning back on.

I did run Mem Test for 4 passes about a week ago and they passed but seeing as I wasn't having this problem then I'll run it again now to see.

I've also run Aida64 multiple times anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes on and off since I built the rig just to help verify system integrity and haven't had any issues. Temps tend to stay well within limits, maybe mid 60's at most? Mid 50's while gaming.

Aug 12, 2019
Hopefully not psu then or something else as suggested.

When you tested ram, can you remember if they were running at 3200 or default jedec speeds?

Oh man, good question lol. I want to say they were at 3200 but may be wrong. I'll get it running here again in about 30 minutes and make sure to notice that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah im thinking possibly psu too. Was hoping not since ram is easier to deal with. Memory shutdowns/reboots usually restarts back to Windows in my experience if ram isn't obviously bad. If the pc remains off then it's looking like a power issue of sorts.

Im not sure what to check regarding voltages/software or multimeter.

Aug 12, 2019
Hmm just a suggestion if you'd like to try, if nothing else works is try an earlier bios revision in case zen2's bios adjustments has introduced bugs. Many bios's are still in early adoption, it has me wondering.

I'll try whatever at this point lol. I'll add it to my list of things to do and tests to run today.

Reactions: boju
Aug 12, 2019

Ryzen 2400G

16GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz

Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD

Like I stated, I put this all together about two-three weeks ago and it's been running fine. I shut it down two nights ago and in the morning when I hit the power button I would get the fans, mobo LEDs, and the RGB lights for about 1 to 2 seconds then it would shut back down. I thought it may be the PSU so I disco'd everything, jumped the pins on the Mobo connector to turn it on, and tested some of the pins just to see if they were out putting the correct voltages, which they were. I plugged that all back in and it would still do the same thing. I moved on to reseat the RAM and all connectors on the board, still no go. I then tried clearing the CMOS and it finally booted back up. So, I went right into the BIOS and reset the RAM back to 3200MHz and booted back into Windows 10. Everything seemed to be working fine and I even played a couple hours of Hitman 2.

After leaving it for about an hour or two I came back to it off doing the same thing. Hit the power button, get lights and fans for 1-2 seconds, then right back off. I pressed it a couple of more times then went right to clearing the CMOS again and it booted up. The odd thing this time is that when I went into the BIOS the RAM was still set how I had it and not back to defaults. Anyways, it then worked fine the rest of the day. I used it to watch some movies and play a couple of different games then shut it down around midnight. Now this morning, same problem of course and I'm not sure what to test/try next to narrow down what piece of hardware could be causing this..

Also, Windows, drivers, BIOS are all up to date and I haven't had it overclocked or messed with any voltages, just changed the RAM to the correct profile. I'm hoping somebody with some more knowledge than me has any idea what may be going on and what I can do to determine the issue here.

use occt and stress test psu for about 10 min take note of voltage at start up and on test report back if psu fail test .

Ryzen 2400G

16GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz

Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD

Four passes of Mem Test came back with zero errors. Then tried OCCT from Scout's reply, no issues there either. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll keep working away at it.

Aug 12, 2019
when gone try a simple test unplug power cable from case to board then momentary touch the 2 pins on board with a little screwdriver and see if system start and stay on this wil tell us if the case switch is good .

Thanks for the tip. I tried and it would still do the same thing, turn on then right off.

Aug 12, 2019

Ryzen 2400G

16GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz

Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD

May have gotten this all figured out. After completely resetting everything and reinstalling Windows 10 I started getting some BSODs while running any games after about 10-15 minutes. Ran MemTest again and started getting errors into the thousands for a couple runs but then no errors on subsequent runs which was odd. Ended up just getting in a new set of RAM yesterday and so far everything seems to be working completely stable. I'll update this if anything changes incase it might help somebody in the future.